We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Critique my itinerary please!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
89 posts
178 reviews
Save Topic
Critique my itinerary please!

Hello TA gurus:

We, 4 adults (two couples) will be in Africa next week and I'd love feedback on what I've planned:

2 nights in Vc Falls, probably staying at Lorries B&B - trying to stay in the $100-225 range. Focusing on adventure sports/activities while there. Definitely doing the Devil's Pool.

Transfer to Kasane and 2 nights there, probably staying at The Old House or Bakwena or Chobe River Cottages, doing game drives/boat rides.

Transfer to the other side of Chobe, on the Namibian side, and stay 1 night at Camp Chobe. Transfer back to Kasane and fly out of BBK to JNB. What are the odds of being requested yellow fever documentation on this route?

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Critique my itinerary please!

If you cross to Zambia from Victoria Falls you need Yellow Fever Vaccination when you fly back to Johannesburg.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,561 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Critique my itinerary please!

What tryhard said. Devil's Pool is on the Zambian side, so if you definitely want to do it you must cross to Zambia.

If you have a Zambian stamp in your passport, and enter SA within a certain time period (think it's 21 days) then the rules say you should have the YF certificate.

I don't think anyone is going to tell you the "odds" that you won't be asked. You may even be refused boarding for the flight, if the check in staff are on the ball. No airline wants to risk taking a passenger who could be refused entry.

If I were you, I would get the jab or don't go to Zambia.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Critique my itinerary please!

Please get your yellow fever vaccination as it's really not a big deal, furthermore it's valid for years/. I hope that you enjoy your trip.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
89 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Critique my itinerary please!

Thanks for your suggestion, however, we fall into one of the susceptible categories for NOT getting the vaccine - as noted by the WHO - and we are going to try to get a Contraindication from our MD.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,680 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Critique my itinerary please!

I suggest you post this plan on the Tanzanian forum, if you want some suggestions....

(Opens beer; sits back.....)

Gaborone, Botswana
Level Contributor
417 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Critique my itinerary please!

Late night Peter? :-)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,680 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Critique my itinerary please!

Just that the Tz forum tends to offer many opinions about Yellow Fever jabs.

Never a week goes by....

Gaborone, Botswana
Level Contributor
417 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Critique my itinerary please!

Ah, now I see. Enjoy that beer

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Critique my itinerary please!

Was on a tour recently and one of the other 'tourists' didn't have a yellow fever certificate because she didn't know she needed one. Our guide managed to get her a certificate in Livingstone without actually having the jab.... And for considerably less than we'd paid for our jabs in the UK.

10. Re: Critique my itinerary please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 27, 2014