We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
172 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic

I will be traveling in South Africa, then on to Victoria Falls on the Zimbabwe side with a day trip to Chobe. The CDC recommends the various Hepatitis vaccines and Typhoid vaccine for all 3 places. I will definitely be taking malaria medication. I'm interested in getting some other opinions about vaccines. I'm only going to be at Chobe for 1 day so I would say the risk has to be very small.

Gaborone, Botswana
Level Contributor
417 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Vaccinations

Thanks Stokeygirl. I'm one of those who didn't know what the rabies jab did or didn't do. As he died in hospital, I presume he was too late getting the post exposure treatment.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Vaccinations

The only real value in the rabies vaccination is if you will be more than 48-72 hours from being able to start post-exposure treatment. It will extend the time before symptoms start and the "point of no return" as far as treatment. Once there are any symptoms, rabies is almost always fatal, even with treatment.

Under most normal safari conditions, someone could be driven to a reasonable size town and flown to a major city in less than 48 hours. If working in the bush or extremely remote area, or hiking/camping then it could have value since it would extend the incubation period by up to a few days.

I readily take most vaccines (as a doctor I see the benefit) but would be hard pressed to take the rabies vaccine under most conditions. Hep A/B, typhoid and yellow fever are separate issues. Malaria pills, of course....

Level Contributor
104 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Vaccinations

Thanks for the info on the rabies jab, I didn't realise that either

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
126 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Vaccinations

wannabe, your yellow fever vaccine is good for 10 years, so now you need to plan excursions to other cool parts of the globe to get full use of it. ;) I highly recommend Amazonia.

Thanks to those who explained how the rabies "vac" works -- saved me the trouble.

15. Re: Vaccinations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, August 21, 2013