We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jan Safari

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Jan Safari

So I believe January is the rainy season here, can anyone suggest a good place to go to spot wildlife please. Hope to visit the Victoria falls then a few nights safari ( oh and is one day at the falls enough?? We'r not adrenaline junkies so doubt we will be taking part in most of the activities!!)

Thanks

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,977 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jan Safari

It is the rainy season- however, rainfall in Botswana isn't that high (compared to rainy season in other African countries). The main factor that makes it low season is the movement of game away from the main water sources as the smaller water holes in the bush fill up. Some areas are more affected by this than others.

The obvious (and cheapest option) coming from Vic Falls would be Chobe. However, my understanding is that Chobe (and the Linyanti) is one of the areas more affected by game movement, particularly of the elephant herds that Chobe is famous for in the dry season.

So if your budget will stretch to it, I would fly (from Kasane) into one of the camps in the delta for a few nights . I visited Kwara (Kwando Safaris) in December last year and I'll be going back next January. Kwara has a bit of a reputation for having consistently good game viewing even in the green season, and they have very good rates at that time (the 5 rivers special) if you stay a minimum of 3 nights. That would be my suggestion. In December I stayed there 5 nights and we had good, very diverse game viewing.

There are plenty of other excellent camps if you have a healthy budget but Kwara works out good value at that time of year.

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jan Safari

Just back from a Chobe visit. Seems that the game are more concentrated in the northern section of the park, i.e. closer to the Chobe river.

Although we saw some leopard and wild dog near Savuti (in the southern part), we had more / better sightings north.

One day at the falls is more than enough. I stayed at Torro lodge near Kasane from where I did day drives into the northern part of the park. This place is clean, well-managed and also offer game drives.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
269 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jan Safari

Just back also. Loved Vic Falls. We did a 30 min helicopter ride which was amazing. Also did the walk from the Zambian side....need at least 2 hrs to enjoy it. The sunset cruise was ok.....saw hippo and croc and a lovely sunset. Would depend what time you arrived if the one day was enough. We got there 3pm. Stayed 2 nights and left first thing next morning. That gave us one full day there. That was probably enough as we also didnt partake in activities like white water rafting, bunge jumping etc.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Jan Safari

Brilliant, thanks for the info guys

Sunrise

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
269 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jan Safari

Not sure if this is possible in January with the river levels....but we wished we had booked the Livingston Is trip in advance. We missed out as we left it until we were there but people we spoke with really enjoyed it.

6. Re: Jan Safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 16, 2013