We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International Cell Phone Service in Chobe?

Canada
Level Contributor
221 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
International Cell Phone Service in Chobe?

Hello.

I am planning to take a day trip to Chobe from Livingstone, Zambia. I'm a female in my late 20s and my parents will be worried sick that I'm traveling solo so I'd like to get an international cell phone to stay in touch with them. Would a Mobal or Telestial world phone get service at Chobe? If not, I might invest in a satellite phone.

Any help is appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Livingstone
Livingstone
Southern Province, Zambia
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,101 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International Cell Phone Service in Chobe?

Hi,

You are thinking of buying a satellite phone for a day-trip to Chobe??

Presumably you are being driven there by a reputable company? Wouldn't it be simpler to give their detail to your parents, or have your parents phone your hotel, if they are worried?

Really, it's probably more dangerous in downtown Washington DC....

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Canada
Level Contributor
221 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International Cell Phone Service in Chobe?

I'm just thinking of getting a rental, not buying. Not that rich, haha.

I am going to book a day trip to Chobe from my lodge in Livingstone. My parents are older and worry a lot (worry worts). Just knowing that I would be able to get in touch in case of emergencies even if I'm in the middle nowhere will give them some peace of mind. I'm happy to oblige b/c excess worrying and stress isn't good for the immune system and anything I can do to put their mind at ease helps them be healthier.

For all my previous trips, I've just gotten a phone card from a local store and called home from a phone booth, but Africa makes them extra nervous, understandably.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,409 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International Cell Phone Service in Chobe?

If you are taking an organised tour then the tour leader will be able to communicate in case of emergency. If I were your parents (and I have adult offspring of your age) I would be perfectly content if they only told me about things I considered to be dangerous when they returned.

That said our kids do worry about our trips to Africa!

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: International Cell Phone Service in Chobe?

There are a couple maps on this page, that may help you visualize what everyone is talking about. www.maunselfdrive4x4.com/apps/photos/album…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
73 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: International Cell Phone Service in Chobe?

Unlock your phone before you leave home, then just buy a SIM card when you get there and buy airtime as you need it. Satellite phones are expensive and there's really no point in buying an international phone just for the trip. OR, just use the same phone you are using at home and pay the extra charges for receiving calls while roaming. Your network at home should have a sister network in Botswana, most likely Orange.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Level Contributor
221 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International Cell Phone Service in Chobe?

My US cell phone doesn't work anywhere outside US.

Went ahead and ordered a rental. It wasn't that expensive and gives the folks at home peace of mind.

Melbourne, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: International Cell Phone Service in Chobe?

I was there a week or so ago and picked up mobile phone reception in Chobe no problems. I just put my own Australian mobile phone on global roaming (turning off data roaming). I could make calls and send texts. More expensive yes, but it was only for a quick "I'm safe" text here and there.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: International Cell Phone Service in Chobe?

Hi sorry to bother you, we will be in Botswana camps starting August 30 and we were advised that Mambo and 2 other camps have no cell wi fi etc, only satellite if you bring it, do you know any reputable rental co for sat phones, I could still order it? We are leaving US next wednesday thanks Marina

Mentioned in this post
Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: International Cell Phone Service in Chobe?

If you are flying in and out of Maun to Mombo and the other camps, Maun Self Drive 4x4 has sat phones to rent.

Mentioned in this post
Maun
Maun
North-West District, Botswana
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: International Cell Phone Service in Chobe?

Thank you, if we will not find it in US within the next week, I will check there,we were told that a small plsne will take us to the airstrip near camp, hope we will have time in Maun airport to check sat phone but thank you for the idea

Edited: 12:13 am, August 21, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Maun
Maun
North-West District, Botswana