We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to see Chobe and Moremi?

Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to see Chobe and Moremi?

At this stage in my planning, I am debating whether to stay in Kasane (see Vic Falls) and then drive into Chobe twice to see game (guided or self-drive) or camp for three nights inside the park.( Ihaha, Linyanti, Savuti)

For Moremi: is it better to camp (Khwai and Xakanaxa) or take a guided moving safari tour for two days?

I realize that there is a difference in cost, but I am wondering as to the difference in experiences e.g. wildlife encounters, driving problems? (will have 4x4)

I'd appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Mentioned in this post
Kasane
Kasane
North-West District, Botswana
Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Best way to see Chobe and Moremi?

KaliCA, remember that part of your drive between campsites will be a game drive as you will already be in the game area. However, you will have to be prepared for a couple of days when you are going to do several hours of hard driving. We did plan 1 night stays in Moremi as the campsites were not far apart and driving between them was part of our game drive. The drive into Savute was long and tiring so we stayed two nights and the same again for moving on to Chobe (Ihaha). As Bushkid0 suggested, we decided not to go to Linyanti during the same trip. perhaps next time we'll make it along with Kwhai . . .

Maun
Level Contributor
85 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best way to see Chobe and Moremi?

I won't add anything to Bushkid's advise which is very comprehensive and from my experience spot on.

One thing I would say though is try to get hold of a satellite phone. I know it is a bit of a pain as you would probably have to hire it for the whole trip which sounds like it is a long one and it is often not necessary in Namibia. However, there is no mobile phone coverage in the parks in Botswana so if anything does go wrong then you are totally stuck. September is often very busy still so the chances are you would be found pretty quickly. Also roads are not likely to be flooded as you would be very unlucky to get heavy rain in September- unheard of in Botswana for quite a few years!! Still it would be good to have one for your peace of mind.

I agree totally with Bushkid's comments about the river crossing at Khwai. Avoid this at all costs - it is notorious and has swallowed quite a few cars including those of experienced bush people!

Mark, Gondwana Tours and Safaris, Maun

Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Maun
Maun
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best way to see Chobe and Moremi?

LOL Mark,

My vehicle was a victim of that crossing a few years back. I approach that crossing with dread and trepidation.

My problem was not because my vehicle drowned, but because I stopped to help another. LOL! OMW! Not one of my good days!

Ponte Vedra Beach...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best way to see Chobe and Moremi?

We are considering doing a self-drive in November 2013. We have driven all over So Africa and Namibia. First time in Botswana. Have read the drive Moremi-Savuti-Chobe.is very challenging? Any advice for this time of year?

Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best way to see Chobe and Moremi?

November is the beginning of the rainy season, although you rarely get heavy rain in November. Rain will make the route difficult - if not impossible -so be prepared for problems.

If dry, the route is relatively good - some deep sand in places - but fairly easy for a good 4x4

New York
Level Contributor
120 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Best way to see Chobe and Moremi?

We spent 4 days in Chobe with a private guide in a mobile tent safari (SGS Africa).

We think the Africa experience is dramatically impacted (for the better) with a guide. We were constantly being asked by self-drive people where the game is. Our guide was an amazing tracker and we saw it all.

Robb High & Carol Bohdan

New York City

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best way to see Chobe and Moremi?

Yes, it is a challenging drive. If you get a high-clearance 4X4 you will be ok. We had a newer Toyota Hilux with great thread mud tires. Helped with traction in the sand. Also, you will need to deflate tires to get more traction, so you will need a battery operated compressor to inflate tires again. There is some thick sand and deep ruts covered by mopane branches and it can go on for 1-2 km before you reach steadier ground. But hey, it's part of the adventure. Be sure to have topped off your double gas tank in Kasane, have plenty of water and food supplies with you just in case. We never needed a Satphone, but some feel better to rent one... Just in case. There are no people or villages after you pass the last village and the tar road stops until you get to either Linyanti or Savuti. For us, Linyanti was not worth it, pretty, but almost no game, whereas there was plenty in Savuti, including lions and leopard.

Probably most of my frustration came from lack of signage or impassable wet roads that were marked as dry tracks on the Rodt maps of Chobe and Moremi. So a GPS may help with that. We has six weeks in Namibia and Botswana, so we felt we saw plenty of game without having a guide. Loved the freedom and the AC in our car. It will be very hot for people from Europe. 40+ degrees. So cold drinks in a cool box were a must. Nights will be much cooler with all the flaps of the tent open. Yes, you will have night visitors in Chobe and Moremi as there are NO fences..

Be prepared but have fun and take tons of pic. We ended up with 8000!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Kasane
Kasane
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Best way to see Chobe and Moremi?

After 23 days you will want a break from the driving.

WE did self drive around botswana about 3 yrs ago. The Chobi Safari lodge is a great place to stay. Great restaurant. Nice rooms, Monkeys and wart hogs running around on the front lawn. We satyed 3 nights and camped at Ihaha for 2. I could have stayed longer. It was the best campsite with Elephant grazing on the planes in the afternoon. For one of our Chobi game drives we wer out for 7 hrs because we just kept on seeing more and more... We did see Lion but the best thing was the pack of wild dogs playing in the water. I can't speak highly enough about that area. This is a very informative blog on botswana. I wish I was going back. Have a great trip.

http://wilddogsandenglishmen.wordpress.com/

19. Re: Best way to see Chobe and Moremi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 18, 2014