We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fully booked camp sites.

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Fully booked camp sites.

I slept a bit late on booking for camping at Third Bridge (Moremi), Savute and Ihaha. In none of these camps are place available towards the end of June / beginning of July 2012. Botswanaselfdrive4x4 can apparently assist in trying to get campsites based on cancellations. My questions:

Is the camping fees charged by them realistic? Camping + Park fees + vehicle = 1362.5 BWP per night (Family =5, 2 adults and 3 kids aged 15,13 and 11)?

Has anyone perhaps experience in using their services?

If I do not find place at the Park campsites, are there any other suggestions for camping? I believe their is a community camp site outside North Gate. Can we just pitch there? And any GPS co-ordinates perhaps?

And where could we potentially camp in Kasane?

Would I be able to drive from Maun to Kasane in 1 day?

If not, any suggestions of where we can stay over for a night on our way there if Savute and the likes are fully booked?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fully booked camp sites.

Hi John,

I suggest you look at the following thread for detailed directions to the Magotho campsite (Khwai Community campsite outside North Gate).

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g472673-i10231-k44…

You can't just pitch there. You have to pay the fees in Maun before you arrive.

The rates you've indicated are quite realistic, probably pretty good, and you'd best book them before Botswana Parks hikes their national parks fees (possibly by a factor of 4). In fact, the rates you've indicated are well below what I'd expect if they include your vehicle. Maybe you should check them ...

The above thread will also give detailed information about travelling times and the conditions of roads, etc.

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Fully booked camp sites.

Botswana Self Drive 4x4 aka Maun Self Drive 4x4 is run by the Mckenzie's in Maun. They have been booking the privatized DWNP campsites since day 1, and have a very good reputation.

This is really late to be looking to book those campsite dates- peak season. Maybe you can find someone that has booked those dates (chances very slim) and try to share their campsite and costs.

Look here for camping in Kasane and area. maunselfdrive4x4.com/nchobetokasanearea.htm

Get the digital map for Garmin gpsr's - Tracks4Africa. That will help you with navigation and planning too.

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fully booked camp sites.

Hi Bushkid. Thank you very much for your reply. I checked your thread I find it VERY useful. Do you perhaps know where I can book for Magotho campsite? Or do I just pay at Maun before leaving for Magotho?

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fully booked camp sites.

Thank you, Luangwa Blond. Useful!

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fully booked camp sites.

Their phone number is +267-680-1211. Their offices are located next to Botswana Touris, one block away from the airport.

It's probably best to check availability personally, but work through a local agent in Maun to ensure that everything is processed and get the most up to date advice.

6. Re: Fully booked camp sites.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 11, 2012