We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zambezi Queen and Chobe

Claverdon, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Zambezi Queen and Chobe

Looking at a tour involving the Zambezi Queen on the Chobe and a couple of game lodges and am really concerned how bad moquitoes will be at the end of March 2012. Great emphasis is put on netting etc.

Can it be quite intolerable? Or do the wonders make up for it?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Chobe National Park
Chobe National Park
North-West District, Botswana
London, United...
Level Contributor
10,402 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zambezi Queen and Chobe

We were on a houseboat (not the Zambezi Queen, the Ichobezi which we highly recommend) in early March. I got only a very few bites, and it was in no way intolerable.

it's Africa, near water, so there are insects but nothing that would ruin your trip unless you have a particular issue about them.

Claverdon, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zambezi Queen and Chobe

Many thanks for your prompt reply. That does help us decide. I was imagining swarms of mossies around the lights etc. Blocking out the starlight!

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,402 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zambezi Queen and Chobe

Wel, that part of the day was the worst for insects. On our boat dinner was more or less by starlight for that reason, certainly not a reason not to go.

Don't know if you are committed to the ZQ but we looked at both it and Ichobezi. The Ichobezi has one small boat/guide per room, for your game viewing/fishing trips, and we thought that was a great advantage.

Claverdon, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zambezi Queen and Chobe

The Ichobezi looks great but we have gone for an itinery with Nobel Caledonia that includes Zambezi Queen and two camps.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,402 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zambezi Queen and Chobe

I'm sure you'll have a great time. If this is your first visit to Africa you'll probably be back- it's addictive.

Palm Coast, FL
Level Contributor
184 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zambezi Queen and Chobe

I am reading everything I can find about the Ichobezi houseboats and definitely want to go next Nov - 2012. Now, can anyone tell me how they booked? Directly or in a package? I found one great itinerary online with Africantravel.com. Has anyone used them? It includes w nights in Victoria Falls, 2 on Ichobezi and two more in another safari lodge on the river.

If you have more information on booking and/or rates, please let me know. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Victoria Falls
Victoria Falls
Matabeleland North Province, Zimbabwe
Maun
Level Contributor
208 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zambezi Queen and Chobe

The Zambezi Queen is by far the most 'luxury' and largest houseboat with 14 cabins and it is quite enclosed (glass sliding windows/doorsand roll down blinds and a mosquito screen on the sliding doors), so you are protected from the main mosquitoes etc - but you are never immune to everything. ZQ has set departure dates thorughout the year - so you need to fit in with their start/end dates, but this is not a major issue if you are flexible for a day or two.

In the same area there is also the relatively new Pride of the Zambezi as well as the Ichobezi which was the first boat in the area.

Ichobezi has more open areas than the Zambezi Queen which I like - you are not so removed from the river/nature. The cabins have windows with mosquito screens. There are only 4 cabins so it is very intimate and personal. It is not new, so has a more traditional style.

Pride of Zambezi is also relatively smaller than the ZQ with 5 cabins. Again the cabins have windows with mosquito netting. but the main area, like the Ichobezi, is not glassed in (there are drop down blinds). It is the newest houseboat on the river and very nicely done without being over the top.

Currently excellent value for money.

All of them give you a great river experience. You need to decide if you want to do any game drives - if so it can be arranged from the boats, but best to arange in advance not try and arrange once you get there - or even spend a night in Kasane/Chobe beforehand if you want to do a game drive.

Regards

Erica

Mentioned in this post
Kasane
Kasane
Chobe National Park
Chobe National Park
Palm Coast, FL
Level Contributor
184 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zambezi Queen and Chobe

The pride of Zambezi sounds great, too. But same question - do we book directly or through an operator? Anybody got any advice for any of these houseboats??

Now I am set on doing 2 - 3 nts on the water!!

Kasane, Botswana
Level Contributor
15 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zambezi Queen and Chobe

you can try contact the Pride of Zambezi off their website or contact Michelle Muller on michelle@prideofzambezi.com

Regards Toff Hill

Kasane, Botswana
Level Contributor
15 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Zambezi Queen and Chobe

you can try contact the Pride of Zambezi off their website or contact Michelle Muller on michelle@prideofzambezi.com

Regards Toff Hill