We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Drive Chobe - 4 x 4 Advice

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Self Drive Chobe - 4 x 4 Advice

I am doing a self drive in Chobe in either late August or early September, taking in

Ihaha

Savuti

Linyanti

Khwai

The route will be.

Ihaha to Linyanti to Savuti to Khwai to Savuti to Ihaha

I have Shell maps, T4A, Paper and GPS maps, etc which give me some pointers to conditions

I have a couple of questions...

i). Track conditions: I have read on the forums many things, but am not sure actually what conditions to expect. I have drive 4x 4 in muddy and rocky conditions – but little experience in Sand. For the route what sort of conditions can I expect?

- How much of this is likely to be covered with water

- How much and how bad is the Sand?

- How much of the route can be considered normal track and how much is likely to be hard going?

ii). Is there any particular route (I know the options are limited) that I should either follow or avoid with this itinerary.

Thanks in advance...

Durban
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self Drive Chobe - 4 x 4 Advice

Hi there not sure of roads conditions during that time but just returned from chobe now and the river is starting to flood already.The roads are muddy in places with soft sand in others but not to hard going.My best advise is check out 4x4community.co.za web site alot of info there.Igathered all mine from there for my first trip which i just completed.

2. Re: Self Drive Chobe - 4 x 4 Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 21, 2012