We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about accomodation & activities around Kasane

belgium
Level Contributor
58 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about accomodation & activities around Kasane

Hi,

My family of 5 will be in the Chobe area from 24/07 to 27/07 in 2010. I've tried to book Waterlily lodge and Chobe Safari Lodge. Both had no vacancies on 25/07 and 26/07.

Are these special dates in Botswana ?

Keeping in mind the price and reviews, I see "Lesoma Valley Lodge" as an alternative. But I can't find a correct email-adress.

Can someone help me with that ?

Probably all lodges offer activities themselves, or are able to arrange them. But I wonder if it wouldn't be smarter I would arrange activities with a private company myself ? We would like to do the following:

- game drive (max. half day)

- river boat cruise

- 1 day to Vic falls + rafting

What are opinions on this ? Which private operating company is recommend ?

Thx for the feedback !

Ben

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about accomodation & activities around Kasane

This is high season in Botswana. If you have tried their website email address, it is typical of the Botswana sites to 'fill' their mail box, or a few places I know of have recurring internet service problems. Try a few others here - …webs.com/campsitesaccomodations.htm

or contact a travel agent to take care of all your bookings. Let them make the telephone calls and get it done. A reliable company in Botswana: www.safaridestinations.net

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about accomodation & activities around Kasane

I tested Lesoma with an email. Their email was kicked back indicating 'mailbox full for this user'.

belgium
Level Contributor
58 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about accomodation & activities around Kasane

Hello luangwablondes (and others),

Yes, I know the site.

I'm now trying to book something via a tour operator "baobab bookings".

I hope this will work out.

I have some other questions about activities in Chobe.

* We would like (as everybody probably) to do a game drive and an evening boat cruise. Is it possible to avoid "the mass" in the evening ?

* A greater problem could be our plan to make a day trip to the Vic Falls.

Whe would like to do half a day of rafting, and of course visit the falls.

Responses on my questions about this topic range from "yes it possible" (Chobe Safari Lodge) to "quiet impossible" (tour operator). So I'm confused.

Advice and tips are very welcome !

Ben

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about accomodation & activities around Kasane

I don't think a day trip from Kasane to the Vic falls is feasible. It takes a while before you are through the border post, then you have to drive to the town, and the rafting companies pick you up early in the morning. You will be dropped off again in the early afternoon. Staying one night in Vic Falls will be less rushed.

Apart from the game drives, there are boat rides in the morning and afternoon leaving from Kasane. You can also go on a fishing trip.

Werner

Eko Tracks

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,012 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about accomodation & activities around Kasane

I can see why you are getting different answers about the day trip- I think it might just be doable, but it would be a very tiring day. I've done the Livingstone-Kasane transfer and it's about 90 mins drive on the Zambian side, then the border post, then a quick boat trip across the river and a short drive to Kasane. I think the rafting starts early, but not "game drive" early- perhaps 8am. To make it I think you'd have to leave Kasane at 5:30am but even then you could be unlucky at the border.

The half day rafting finishes with lunch and then you have to hike out of the gorge (there's a cable car if you do the full day) which is quite hard work in the heat of the day. And then you will probably want to get changed and then go any walk round the falls, then do the 2.5 hour transfer back.

It might just be doable but I doubt it would be particularly enjoyable!

Not sure what the transfer is like to Victoria Falls rather than Livingstone.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
183 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about accomodation & activities around Kasane

Hi Greyben,

If you are doing a safari anywhere else, you can probably skip the game drive at Chobe. On the river cruise, you'll see lots of wildlife and it is comfortable and the views are great and unobstructed. Even better, hire a private boat for your family so the driver will go where you want to go and get closer to the animals. Your lodge should be able to arrange a private boat for you. This will allow you to spend the night in Vic Falls to do both the falls and a rafting trip.

Regarding a day trip to Vic Falls, it would be a very long day to try to do the rafting and see the falls. If you can't stay in Vic Falls (I'd recommend Vic Falls Safari Lodge if you can), then see the falls. It'll take about 90 minutes from Kasane to Vic Falls, Zim. The taxi should take you right to the falls, since you shouldn't walk from town to the falls. The falls will take 2-3 hours to see. $20 to enter, and rent a $3 poncho from across the street.

You can then head back to Kasane knowing you saw one of the natural wonders of the world.

belgium
Level Contributor
58 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about accomodation & activities around Kasane

Everybody thanks for the feedback.

As for accomodation. I finished the reservation of accomodation for 10 other places on our trip through SA, Namibia and Botswana, which caused no problems at all. But Chobe is still "a black hole". After trying some lodges (like CSL, Waterlilly) myself, I tried to book Lesoma Valley Lodge through Baobab Bookings. Even with a local (?) operator this seems to be difficult since there's no result after 2 weeks of trying ...

So: help !!

For the trip to Vic Falls. Chobe Safari Lodge offers a day trip "Transfer, lunch, p/fee, rafting, guides for the falls & craft market" starting at 8h in Kasane and returing there at 17h !!?? The rafting is done with Shearwater which indeed has an half a day rafting trip starting at 10h30.

Does anyone has experience with this or comments on it ?

(And yes, visiting the falls has the highest priority !)

Ben

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
183 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about accomodation & activities around Kasane

Ben, Didn't do the trip but it seems doable. This is my guess:

8am leave

9:30 arrive in Vic Falls

10am rafting

1:30 done

2pm Falls

3pm Craft market

3:30 return to Kasane

At the craft market, each stall essentially sells the same thing, so you can bargain with each. Trading good clothing, shoes, socks, etc. was also welcomed. Most wood items are nice, but inspect for insects carefully. Our wooden giraffe was infested with a boring insect. Several stone items we bought broke in transit.

9. Re: Questions about accomodation & activities around Kasane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:44 pm, August 20, 2013
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
183 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about accomodation & activities around Kasane

Ben,

To clarify, I'd really recommend going from Kasane to Vic Falls, Zimbabwe, NOT to Livingstone, Zambia. All of the activites you want to do are available on the Zim side for the same price and the view of Vic Falls is superior to that of the Zam side.

The crossing into Zim is all by car, and should be quite fast. The crossing from Kasane to Zam is by ferry, therefore it is chaos. I agree with youbee that it may add to the excitement, but do you want to spend a precious day on vacation waiting in line?

We did both crossings in August. We had a taxi drive us to the Zim border, we walked across, then hopped into a different, pre-arranged taxi to take us to our destination. We spent a total of five minutes at the border.

By contrast, the Kazangula crossing from Kasane to Zambia is wild. Ferries that look like they are ready to sink, cruise across the river and ride up onto packed-dirt areas to unload and reload as fast as possible. Cars and trucks all jockey for position. It's quite a sight. We took a private boat across with another family, but waited almost an hour for the boat. Once over the border, we met our taxi driver who walked us through customs. Note that we had our visas beforehand so it streamlined the process tremendously, but it still took us close to 30 minutes for customs.

Consider getting in touch with Boo Peel at www.victoriafalls-guide.net. She can arrange transfers and activities for you. She did it for us and they were all flawless, (taxis, bungi, elephant walk, zip line, etc.)