We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Family Itinery for August trip

Colorado
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Family Itinery for August trip

We are travelling to S AFrica with our 3 children ages 9, 12, and 15 for 2 weeks (including travel). We fly into Johannesburg and am considering 2 different travel itineraries. THe first is to fly directly on to Cape Town, spend 2 or 3 nights and 1 in Hermanus. Then fly to Kruger and spend 3 nights in the Sabi Sands area, then fly to Victoria falls for 2 nights at the Victoria Falls Safari Lodge and 2 nights at Mitetsi Water Lodge and then 3 nights at Chobe, flying back to Johannesburg and them on home the same day, as our flight does not leave until 6PM. The second option is to fly to Cape Town for the same 2-3 nights, hermanus for one, then fly to Victoria falls for 4 nights (same as above- 2 at Vict Falls Hotel, 2 at Matetsi, then flying to Kruger where we would have 5 nights- probably 3 nights in Sabi Sands, 2 in a tented camp or 2 in Phini. Can you tell me is this reasonable and is one preferable to the other? Any better suggestions? THanks so much

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,810 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Family Itinery for August trip

you will be bored to tears at victoria falls for four days with the three kids. i would choose one property and stay for two nights only. if you have two extra days, go to the Hwange National Park.

in my opinion, if you choose matetsi then you should choose a chobe or savuti under canvas program with &Beyond. you only need 2 nights at matetsi to exhaust most reasonable options at the falls. your agent/operator should have discount rates on file for that package (matetsi and chobe/savuti under canvas). &Beyond put more discounts out last week. i am not sure when you are traveling so i don't know if they apply. in another forum you said august. the discounts for june are much greater and much more available so they will not apply in august.

if you choose to ignore my advise, please ask your agent for a day-by-day itinerary of activites for four days at Victoria Falls. i'd be curious what they propose.

your statement of "chobe" is vague. there is much difference between the massive lodges just outside the gate (800 beds in a five mile radius) and the private camp sites and lodges in the western chobe near the savuti marsh. for example: chobe safari lodge and chobe game lodge are two different experiences. getting inside the park each day (if the lodge is not in the park) will be a huge time waster and reduce the value of your experience by quite a bit. pay more and stay in the park at least.

can you clarify phini camp in the sabi sands? also, what do you think is a tented camp in the sabi sands? there are a few tenting sights used by south africans (mostly) associated with Djuma but i don't know of any other tenting safari lodges in sabi sands.

what is your overall budget for the entire trip (not including the flight to Johannesburg/Cape Town from Denver)? better advice to follow once budget is known.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond

2. Re: Help with Family Itinery for August trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, October 18, 2009