We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We're gonna need a better cage.....

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,923 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
We're gonna need a better cage.....

independent.ie/world-news/africa/video-great…

I've never been sure why people want a cage - it only attracts big fish....

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We're gonna need a better cage.....

Cross that one off my list!

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,051 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We're gonna need a better cage.....

lol peterscot

Have been wondering when someone would bring this up.

The company involved has since announced...""The viewing gap was immediately reduced by approximately 10%"".

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We're gonna need a better cage.....

I don't think that will matter. If that shark wants to go through it it will.

United States
Level Contributor
783 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We're gonna need a better cage.....

I saw a more full video of this incident in another article. That shark diving company was literally pouring blood into the water.

I remember seeing them tug a dead fish as chum with my company but not pouring blood and dead fishes into the water when I went.

Is it common for shark dive companies to just pour blood and chum into the water?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,663 posts
5,748 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We're gonna need a better cage.....

did it, did it again, watched this video, done!

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,051 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We're gonna need a better cage.....

Hi BradJill

Agree

So glad I did it before this happened probably never would now get in that cage, especially as I did think at the time that face level opening was rather large and unecessary!

heehee62

Not sure about the blood, it was not used on our boat, but I believe most if not all do use chum. It is a controversial subject as to whether or not the sharks are being lured or baited, which clearly they are. It is however tightly regulated and feeding is definitely banned. Although really I do not see much difference between feeding and chumming, except chumming keeps the sharks hungry and hanging around.

United States
Level Contributor
783 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We're gonna need a better cage.....

Thanks thesandmans.

Just watched my underwater video and photos again. I remembered it to be amazing but wow, I'd forgotten how amazing!

From my videos/photos, I can see the company I went with didn't pour blood or loose chum into the water like the attack video company. They did though have one fish head on a rope to lure the shark to the boat, so better but still not totally safe.

I'm actually still crazy enough to do it again if it wasn't so expensive for me to do so :). I think more people die in car accidents every year.

United States
Level Contributor
783 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We're gonna need a better cage.....

I just realized something else, the shark company on the video poured blood and loose chum directly into the water and dragged the bait right in front of the cage.

In my home videos, it was only one fish head bait on a rope and they only used it to bring the shark to the boat (not bringing the bait on the side of the boat the cage was at). No pouring blood or loose chum of any kind.

Was watching an abc news youtube clip on the shark attack, they say the moral of this story is to pick the right company to go with, not that you should just not do the cage dives altogether. I think they are right about this. Of course there is risk but given that we haven't really heard much of people dying from the cage dives, I really do believe it's safer than walking across the street.

I went with Apex predators by the way in case anyone is looking for a safer company. Not trying to sound like a saleman (I have no affiliation with them), just thought I'd share to help keep people safer.

Edited: 11:20 pm, March 26, 2013
9. Re: We're gonna need a better cage.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, January 10, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Gansbaai