We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White Shark Cage Dives

Sydney
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
White Shark Cage Dives

Hi there, I'm going to be in Cape Town in late May/early June and looking to book a 1 day cage dive in Gansbaai. Just wondering if anyone has some recommendations for good companies. There's quite a price difference between certain companies and I wonder if the cheaper ones are as reputable?

Does anyone have experience with Detour Africa? They have a 1 day trip priced at 1095 inc return transfers from Cape Town...that's a good 400-500 cheaper than most other companies it seems. I guess I'm wondering if there's a catch...

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Knysna
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White Shark Cage Dives

Well its definitely worth checking out properly, cost vs safety.... I would personally rather opt to go with anyone who has been operating the longest, as one needs to be sure they know what they are doing, have the necesary permits, boat, set up, insurances etc....

- dont know the particular operator so cannot supply any information on them but can recommend white shark.... www.whitesharkafrica.com

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,672 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White Shark Cage Dives

I live right by Gansbaai part of the year and usually recommend White Shark Ecoventures for a good experience. I have been the videographer on their boat a few years ago (and a couple other boats, too). But, I know, or know about, all of them,

That R1095 is something that jumps out. If they will tell you which boat they are representing (they are an agent, not the boat owners I am sure), I'll tell you if I know anything about it. Make sure they GUARANTEE the boat they tell you about. Then contact that boat operator directly to confirm he has a relationship with Detour Africa.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Sydney
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: White Shark Cage Dives

Thanks for the feedback and advice!

This is the link to the dive for 1095R

detourafrica.co.za/tour/…

It doesn't mention anything about the boat itself...alarm bells I think?

Western Cape
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: White Shark Cage Dives

Physical Opperators vs Tour Agents/Tour Company

This is always a tricky one.

Unless you are booking a complete tour to do more than just one activity with the "Booking agent/Tour Company" I would suggest to do your booking directly with one of the Shark Diving Opperators.

These booking companies choose the opperator that pays them the most commission, and they dont always put their guys on to the best company/opperator. Money is a big factor in this game and often motivates the tour companies to drop their standards for more money.

At the end of the day you will get what you pay for, reduction in cost also means a reduction in quality of service and standards.

The best suggestion i can give you is to look up all the opperators that opperate in Gansbaai and do your booking directly with them.

Dave is also 100% right that you should insist that your booking agent tells you what opperator they will be sending you with. Look that opperator up on trip advisor and see what the reviews of their company is like.

This should be a good start to finding a good company that is going to give you value for money. All the shark diving companies are listed on Tripadvisor complete with reviews, im sure this will make your choice a little easier.

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g472522-Activiti…

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,051 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White Shark Cage Dives

Agree with above posts, we used Trip Advisor site for feedback about the companies then did a bit of research on each companies own website. From memory I thought all the prices all were pretty similar, ours was R1350 and that was from Gansbaii so your price seems unusual, if its from Cape Town.

From this we picked two we were comfortable with and emailed them direct for availability. Then while we were in CT we just called them and made a booking, but this could have been done before we left home had we been deifinite about doing the trip

We used Mike Rutzens Sharkdiving Unlimited, they were pretty good, and I would not have wanted to be on a smaller boat.... http://www.sharkdivingunlimited.com

South Africa
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: White Shark Cage Dives

As a guesthouse owner in Gansbaai we use White Shark Projects for the following reasons.

They have a smaller boat therefore less people on the boat.

Their whole conservation ethic as well as the fact that they dont use shark livers as chum.

Their social responsibilities. One of the programmes they initiated is a swopshop where children exchange recyclables for school materials.This is on going and really works. Also I think it's the only shark operator whose employees have a share in the company.

But the most important reason is that they are professional in all aspects of their business and I have yet to get negative feedback.

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: White Shark Cage Dives

Hi there,

I ran into the same deal posted on detpur africa and after reading your comments, i double checked the boat name - same one they use for white shark ecoventures, with a lot of the wording for the safety information and itinerary copied verbatim.

I was wondering if anyone actually ended up booking through detour africa? I'm hoping mu research suggests they represent the same reputable company you mentioned.

Also, does anyone know anything about how successful some of the newer breaching trips they are offering at Gansbaai? I know it's practically guaranteed for the time i plan on being there (june) if I go to Valsbaai but the Gansbaai options are quite a bit cheaper (for a reason maybe?)

Thanks!

South Africa
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: White Shark Cage Dives

I would recommend booking your shark diving via

www.sharkdirect.co.za

South Africa
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: White Shark Cage Dives

Hi

I would recommend booking your shark diving through an actual shark tour operator. Do try: www.sharkdirect.co.za

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: White Shark Cage Dives

I am currently working as a volunteer with White Shark Projects - they're great. You can read about a very special trip we had just the other day:

travellinggem.com/2012/…

I am keeping a blog about my experiences so feel free to read my other entries.

Gemma