We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to Find a Place to Stay

Which Taos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
641 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to Find a Place to Stay

We are coming to Taos for one night during the Memorial Day weekend. I am trying to find a room to stay in. I like the El Monte Sagrado, but the price is close to $300 for one night. It looks beautiful, but we are coming in around 8pm and leaving by 7:30am the next day so I don't know that $300 is worth it for that short a time. I checked into the B& Bs. Most of them have 2 night minimums. Hacidenda del Sol is a possibility. We have to leave by 7:30am. Do you think they would serve breakfast at 7am? I see that the Hampton Inn is available, but it doesn't look the greatest and we would like something with a Southwest flavor. Is the traffic bad in the Plaza before 11am?? Thank you.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,693 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to Find a Place to Stay

Have you looked at the Historic Old Taos Inn? http://www.taosinn.com/

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to Find a Place to Stay

It's practically impossible for B&B's to offer one-night stays over Holiday Weekends since we have such a small number of rooms to offer. If you book one night in the middle of a weekend when we could book longer stays, we lose revenue. Memorial Day is also in the High Season in Taos and many of us have a strict 2-night minimum for the entire length of the season.

El Monte is a great property, as is the Historic Taos Inn. Each have restaurants that allow folks to eat early on their own schedule. You're going to pay Holiday Rates practically anywhere you stay on Memorial Day weekend.

Taos is VERY busy Memorial Day Weekends, by the way.

B&B's have a staff of one or two people who work all day, every day. Breakfast has to be carefully staged in order to allow those who work there to survive the 7-day-a-week schedule. Some of us offer a "to-go" breakfast if requested in advance, but a sit-down meal is rare at 7 am at most B&B's -- not unheard of, though.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
641 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to Find a Place to Stay

I don't mind something on the go. We realize that we are early birds and I like to get up and start sightseeing before the crowds . We don't demand to be served. I looked at the Historic Old Taos Inn but I know a number of reviewers complained about a musty smell and I was unsure if it was in an area that was difficult to get in and out of because of traffic. Maybe I am wrong on that. Our plan is to see Taos Pueblo when it opens, see the Plaza around 10am which we are hoping is not too crowded, then the Church in de Ranchos before getting on the High Road to Santa Fe. Is traffic horrible before noon on the Plaza? I understand about the two night minimum. I know a b&b did one night on a holiday weekend although one of them said that we could not pick our room. They would give us what was not taken which was fine. So is historic Old Taos Inn the best choice for us? Thank you.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
641 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to Find a Place to Stay

I don't mind something on the go. We realize that we are early birds and I like to get up and start sightseeing before the crowds . We don't demand to be served. I looked at the Historic Old Taos Inn but I know a number of reviewers complained about a musty smell and I was unsure if it was in an area that was difficult to get in and out of because of traffic. Maybe I am wrong on that. Our plan is to see Taos Pueblo when it opens, see the Plaza around 10am which we are hoping is not too crowded, then the Church in de Ranchos before getting on the High Road to Santa Fe. Is traffic horrible before noon on the Plaza? I understand about the two night minimum. I know a b&b did one night on a holiday weekend although one of them said that we could not pick our room. They would give us what was not taken which was fine. So is historic Old Taos Inn the best choice for us? Thank you.

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to Find a Place to Stay

TA reviews that say there was a musty smell anywhere in Taos probably haven't smelled air without smog in so long they can't smell clean. It is extremely rare to smell something musty here and it is downright silly for someone to say that they do unless they have an environmental sensitivity or allergy that they're not disclosing in their review. Not trying to be disrespectful, but anyone who says such a thing about the Taos Inn isn't telling us the WHY of their observation.

We never, never, never recommend staying in Taos for one night under any circumstances, muchless a busy Holiday Weekend. You're setting yourself for disappointment as I've explained extensively in many previous posts in this forum. It's just not the kind of town where hurrying in and hurrying out within 24 hours during a super-busy time is going to work out to a vacation. Instead it will feel like a forced march through hostile territory. Sorry, just trying to warn you.

If the Taos Inn will book a one-nighter on that weekend, I'd stay there. Great place, terrific central location, great restaurant, incredible nightly entertainment, easy walking everywhere, great professional staff.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
641 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trying to Find a Place to Stay

Thank you, TaosBandBLover. I appreciate that insight. Sometimes it is very hard to judge by the reviews listed on TA for that reason. Would you recommend the courtyard or Sandoval rooms? Also what time are the shops on the Plaza open until? We enjoy buying souveniers. I know I hear people talk about the traffic on the forums. But that is a term that is hard to gauge as well. Some of the worst traffic I ever encountered was in Quebec City. It was almost as bad as NYC. It was funny that people in New Zealand talked about hitting alot of traffic at certain times. To them, that was about 30 cars on the road, which is "no one on the road" to someone from NJ. I will try not to make it into hurrying in and out.

7. Re: Trying to Find a Place to Stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 30, 2013