We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go between Grand Canyon and Denver?

Which Taos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
carmel
1 post
Save Topic
Where to go between Grand Canyon and Denver?

The last week of June, my wife and I are flying into Denver and driving to Ouray, CO for a three nights. We are then driving to the Grand Canyon and staying at the El Tovar for the night. We need advise on where to go from there. We have three days until we have to be back in Denver to fly home. We thought about going north to Zion NP and then back to Denver through Moab, UT. We also thought about heading east and going to the Taos, NM area.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go between Grand Canyon and Denver?

From Ouray, Moab is a wonderfully scenic drive to the West(lunch in Telluride). Down the 191 to Monument VY.& the 160/64 would the most direct option to the South Rim... On the back haul the180 to Flagstaff. Have lunch in Winslow, at the restored Harvy House...Overnight in Santa Fe. Lunch in Taos & a afternoon/evening return to Denver...carracar

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go between Grand Canyon and Denver?

Are you planning to drive in 1 day between Ouray and South rim?

South rim to Zion is 5 hours without stops and there's a lot to see on your way.

Zion to Moab is another 5 hours taking the interstates (esp I70 is very scenic). A fantastic drive between Zion and Moab is via Bryce, ut12 and Torrey but that hardly can be called a one days drive. One night Moab won't give you time to explore and there's a lot of places to see in the Moab area.

Tet

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go between Grand Canyon and Denver?

Let's look at coming back through Ariz/New Mexico. You have two routes from GC to Flagstaff, south on AZ 64-US 180or AZ 64 east to Us 89.

From Flagstaff, I-40 takes you through eastern Arizona (Walnut Canyon Nat'l Monument, Petrified Forest Nat'l Park) and on into New Mexico to Albuquerque. This would be about an 8 hour drive, but most of it Interstate. From Albuquerque, north through Santa Fe, Taos, and either Alamosa to US-285 or over La Veta Pass to Walsenberg, and I-25. Or you can opt out of Taos, and take US 285 north from Santa Fe, all the way to Denver. I have driven this in a bit over 7 hours, with rest stops and lunch along the way.

4. Re: Where to go between Grand Canyon and Denver?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 am, June 19, 2013