We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taos Ski Valley - Looking for 2nd destination with teens

Which Taos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
5 posts
Save Topic
Taos Ski Valley - Looking for 2nd destination with teens

Hi,

We've decided somewhat last minute to take a spring break trip to Taos Ski Valley with our two fourteen year old girls. We are driving from Houston. We have been to Ski Valley before so we know what to expect there and we've got reservations for 3 days of skiing. I'd like to work in a 2nd destination for the trip and was thinking that Santa Fe might be nice. The girls probably won't be into the plaza/museums and such but I thought perhaps there's a nice lodge or spa type place with nice views that we could stay a couple of nights before proceeding up to Taos. Suggestions? I know it will be pretty cold but is hiking still a possibility? White water rafting? The girls would probably love a spa treatment day and maybe some tennis or an indoor pool. Thoughts?

Regards,

Janet

Atascadero...
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taos Ski Valley - Looking for 2nd destination with teens

Hello,

Sounds like Bishop's Lodge is the kind of place you're seeking. It's a classic and offers all the amenities you mentioned.

http://www.bishopslodge.com/

Disclaimer: I have no connection to Bishop's lodge whatsoever, but do own a small B&B in the Santa Fe area.

While we do have some late winterlike weather moving in soon, it was 72 degrees at our location today. Some guests took the High Road to Taos and were amazed at the lack of snow. We took a visiting friend to Bandelier National Monument for a hike and we were in t-shirts.

Rafting will not be an option yet and I wouldn't recommend it with such low and cold water conditions this time of year anyway. It's one thing to raft in cold runoff when its 75 or above out, but for girls that sound like they appreciate being pampered a bit, that could be the makings of a rough outing.

Maybe some nice horseback riding?

Good luck on your skiing plans, I hope these next couple of predicted storms bring some precip. It's brutally skimpy out there. I assume your girls are ok with skiing on skis and not snowboarding? TSV hasn't budged on their prohibition on snowboards that I know of.

Atherton, CA
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taos Ski Valley - Looking for 2nd destination with teens

Hello...

I second the Bishops Lodge reccomendation. You also may try Garrets desert Inn.

I hiked to williams lake at Taos Ski Valley a few weeks back and there was 2-3 feet of snow. It was beautiful and the weather was warm on one side of the mountain and cold and windy on the other. That is a fun hike if you do not mind some snow trekking. Santa fe will have many hikes with no snow and the only concern is new weather and or winds with fire danger. Some trails may be closed. Check the NM forrest service page on the web.

Check out ojo caliente mineral springs. That is always a fun spa stop at a secret place. The girls will like that. Natural hot baths with various minerals. Awesome.

Check out the Taos Inn and adobe bar for entertainment at night. It is free and also has wireless internet if so desired. www.taosinn.com

Have a great trip!

Houston, Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taos Ski Valley - Looking for 2nd destination with teens

Thanks so much for the advice. The Bishop's lodge looks like a perfect fit for us. I'm very happy to see that Taos got 13 inches snow in the last 24 hours.

Thanks again,

Janet