We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taos versus Taos Ski Valley

Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Taos versus Taos Ski Valley

I'm planning a trip between Christmas and New Years to the Taos area. I'm not sure if we should stay in Taos or in Taos Ski Valley.

We typically visit Breckenridge and Durango. I know Taos is smaller but wanted to get advice on which one offers the full package of scenery and things to do.

Mentioned in this post
Taos Ski Valley
Taos Ski Valley
Taos County, NM
Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taos versus Taos Ski Valley

Where to stay comes down to a couple of factors including the length of stay and who wants après ski of what type.

During the holidays, TSV maintains its national rankings with tons to do, but generally it remains a SKIERS destination. It really is all about the slopes up there, but there are plenty of family oriented things to do during those two special weeks.

Travel+Liesure Magazine has designated Taos as one of the Top Ten places to spend Christmas in part because of the Ski Valley, but mostly because of all the events held in Town and at Taos Pueblo. Since the Town and TSV are an easy 18-mile drive from one another, you can look at the lodging choices to help with your decision. We favor staying in town, but always keep an open mind.

Almost all of us in Town and at TSV keep fairly strict length-of-stay restrictions, so that might also affect your choice.

Finally, some folks have trouble sleeping at higher altitudes, so you might want to keep that in mind if necessary. Most lodging is at or above 9200 feet at TSV while the Town is at 7000 feet above sea level.

Mentioned in this post
Taos Pueblo
Taos Pueblo
2,473 Reviews
Taos, NM
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,846 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taos versus Taos Ski Valley

I would stay in the town of Taos. So much more to do and a beautiful place. Shopping and dining options are plentiful. http://www.visittaos.org/

3. Re: Taos versus Taos Ski Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, October 21, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Taos