We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High Road / Low Road to Taos

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
120 reviews
878 helpful votes
High Road / Low Road to Taos

On a round trip from Santa Fe to Toas, which is better: High Road north and Low Road south or vice versa?

And are there any attractions on the way worth stopping at? I'm considering making a detour to see the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge.

ALEXANDRIA va
Level Contributor
759 posts
39 reviews
93 helpful votes
1. Re: High Road / Low Road to Taos

The guidebooks say Low Road to Taos from Santa Fe and the High Road from Taos to Santa Fe for best views. Time is much shorter for low road.

We planned it this way but an emergency meant we only did the low road. We were disappointed that Embudo station was closed down last week on the low road. Do a quick search here for high road and all the posts with the stops etc will come right up.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
62 helpful votes
2. Re: High Road / Low Road to Taos

In my experience, I would recommend the High Road going up to Taos, and the Low Road back. Not a "big deal," but there are a couple of turn-offs on the High Road that are easier to catch going northbound. You will see some Spanish-era villages on the High Road, and beautiful old adobe churches. Stop at the Santuario de Chimayo (a small, but famous chapel in NM) at the south end of Chimayo. This small town also has some famous weavers. The High Road is a little longer time wise than the Low Road along the Rio Grande. I prefer to come back on the Low Road sometimes because if you are running late, you can make better time. The scenery is different on both routes, but very enjoyable none the less. As I said elsewhere, the "side trip" north from Taos to the US64 bridge is certainly worth the effort.

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
43 helpful votes
3. Re: High Road / Low Road to Taos

It really makes a difference that you take the Low Road from Santa Fe to Taos and then the High Road back. Here's why:

State Highway 68 -- the Low Road -- follows the Rio Grande River north and slightly east along the beginnings of what we know as the Gorge. Near the little town of Pilar the road begins to climb up and out of the gorge into the valley where Taos is nestled up against the mountains. Almost as soon as you finish the climb up you are greeted (some say "astounded") with a view of a gigantic crack in the earth that is the true Rio Grande Gorge. Around a turn and a big "U" in the road and then back up you'll come to a second vista of the gorge.

PULL OVER HERE!

You completely miss this spectacular view of one of the largest volcanic rifts in the world if you take the High Road North and the Low Road South. Primarily because the view is in your rear view mirror going south. Boo!

A second reason: your mountain vistas going south on the High Road are more scenic. Spend some time in Truchas and other little communities, stop at the Sanctuaryo de Chimayo and then go toward NM 503 south where you finish your drive up and down through multiple micro-climates. This last little stretch satisfies with amazing views south toward the Jemez Mountains and beyond.

One final word of advice: let yourself be transported into this place not only physically, but in your imagination or in your spirit. It's magical. Slow down a little and give yourself time to grasp why people have chosen to live in this remote and fairly isolated part of our great nation.

Safe Journeys!

Taos, NM
Level Contributor
265 posts
34 reviews
34 helpful votes
4. Re: High Road / Low Road to Taos

TaosBandBLover said it far better than anyone else could have!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
79 reviews
31 helpful votes
5. Re: High Road / Low Road to Taos

We just did it today take the hi road up stop at chimayo church it's beautiful and have tamales at leonias..in Taos go to the pueblo which is past the old town and it's very interesting..the bridge gorge was eh eh not worth extra drive,.15 minutes past the pueblo..then take low road back..

Council Bluffs, Iowa
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
15 helpful votes
6. Re: High Road / Low Road to Taos

For someone who is not familiar with what High Road Low Road is, can you clarify?

We are flying into ABQ on Monday and driving to Taos. We will be there a couple of days then driving to Santa Fe for a couple days before heading back to ABQ

Can someone explain to me what the high road route is and the low road? How long should expect these routes to take?

thanks a million!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
79 reviews
31 helpful votes
7. Re: High Road / Low Road to Taos

The hi road goes to higher altitude. And you,re on that side of the road...And takes longer there are a few sights to see and the low road is less time..I guess it depends on when you leave alberq. And if you will have enuf time to make the stops... if you have to go the other way it's not that big a deal..

Council Bluffs, Iowa
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
15 helpful votes
8. Re: High Road / Low Road to Taos

thanks, but do these roads actually have names other than High Road/Low Road? IE - If I look at a map, how do i know what the low road or high road is?

We are leaving ABQ around 3 to Taos. Also, if anyone knows of any groc stores with a organic section near ABQ on the way to Taos please let me know. I would suspect cheaper in ABQ, so looking for that type of store there.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
79 reviews
31 helpful votes
9. Re: High Road / Low Road to Taos

Yes they are main roads I don't remember the numbers but they,re on the maps,,not hard to find..it takes a few hours going up if you stop at the chimayo church and another few stops coming back it's about 2 hours., make rue you go to the Taos pueblo a little past the gown and take the little tour ..

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
43 helpful votes
10. Re: High Road / Low Road to Taos

The Low Road is US 84/285 north from Santa Fe to Espanola, then bear right and take State Highway 68 to Taos.

The High Road back is State Highway 68 south out of Taos to State Highway 518 east from Ranchos de Taos. This road goes up into the mountains in a southeasterly direction. Turn right onto State Highway 75 about 20 miles out of town. Follow the signage indicating "High Road to Taos." At this point, you're in the high country following SH 75, then SH 76.

We recommend that you take State Highway 503 off of 76 in order to continue in the rural setting of the High Road.

A great tour map can be found at:

http://highroadnewmexico.com/tour-map.html

Edited: 12:56 pm, July 08, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Taos