We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeing Taos Pueblo

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Seeing Taos Pueblo

My wife & I will be spending a full day at Taos next month. I found info about the Trolley Tours on the Net. I generally prefer something more self-guided rather than the hustle of being in a group. Having said that, the tour seems to be very informative.

If we went for the self-guided option, can we still get a good insight into the history & culture of the place?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,388 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeing Taos Pueblo

I think a self guided tour would be much more fun. You can take your time. You may want do some research on Taos Pueblo and people prior. http://www.taospueblo.com/

We always go on our own.

Taos, NM
Level Contributor
265 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeing Taos Pueblo

If you are visiting Taos Pueblo, a 20-30 minute guided tour is included in the entry fee.

Tour guides are generally college students that work for tips.

The pueblo is such a very different culture, that it seems to be very helpful to most of our guests.

After the tour you are then free to wander into the shops and visit with the residents.

The people of Taos Pueblo are extremely friendly and cheerful. Please smile and say hi to everyone that you meet. You will be amazed at their response.

Good Luck!

Taos, NM
Level Contributor
265 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeing Taos Pueblo

Trying to learn about the history and culture of Taos Pueblo can be a challenge.

Although the people of Taos Pueblo may be the most religious of any American Indian tribe, their religion is secret.

Their language is also secret.

They have never allowed themslves to be "studied".

Please steer away from any book that purports to tell about the culture and beliefs of the people of Taos Pueblo. If the information is true, you cannot speak with the people about it. If it is not true, you will not know, and therefor believe something that is a fallacy.

The one book that many people of Taos Pueblo can get behind is "Taos Pueblo and the Fight for Blue Lake", by R.C. Gordon McCutchen.

The best way to learn about the people of Taos Pueblo is to spend a lot of time with them and develop lasting friendships. Then, do not talk about the things that you may have been told in the spirit of friendship and confidence.

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeing Taos Pueblo

Many thanks for the replies. Visiting Taos should be quite an experience.

5. Re: Seeing Taos Pueblo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, September 05, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Taos
Recent Conversations