We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is a week too long in this reserve?

san francisco
Level Contributor
61 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
is a week too long in this reserve?

thinking of spending 4 nights in Moseltha bush camp and 3 nights in a more luxurious camp for a total of 7 nights in Madikwe- the appeal of Madikwe is that it is relatively easy to get to from Johannesburg and it is maleria free. any thoughts??? any suggestions on other camp to get different experience in Madikwe.

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is a week too long in this reserve?

Your call, but IMO, one can never have too long in the bush! :-)

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
703 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: is a week too long in this reserve?

Hi travelbug140,

I think 7 nights split between 2 camps is great, and I don't think too much.

Madikwe is closer to JHB. Its about 3 1/2 to 4 hr by road, and a 1 hr flight. I wouldn't say that it is easier to get to though, just closer. Most lodges in the Greater Kruger area are very easily accessible by either road - 5 to 6 hrs or by air - about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs.

Being Malaria free is a minor positive, but having said that depending on the time of the year that you are travelling, malaria will become much less of a concern i.e. in our winter and taking the necessary precautions at any time of the year, whether that is malaria tablets or repellents, plug-in mosquito machines etc, makes travelling to the Kruger area 100% safe. Tens of thousands of people travel there annually without any issues.

Personally, I think the game viewing is better overall in the Greater Kruger area. That's my personal opinion, based on my experience in both areas. There are however some great luxury lodges as your 2nd choice lodge with Mosethla - Morukuru, Royal Madikwe, Madikwe Hills to name a few. You could also combine Madikwe with the Sabi Sands as an option to consider.

I hope this helps a bit. I'm sure other TA's will add to my post.

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa

Mentioned in this post
Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is a week too long in this reserve?

I love Madikwe but I'm not sure I'd want to spend a full week there.

Mosethla is very central which means that you can travel to all areas of the reserve very easily. So no matter where your followup accommodation is sited, there's a fair chance you'll already have driven in that area.

What we have done on a couple of occasions is spend time at Madikwe followed by time at Pilanesberg which you pass anyway on the drive back from Madikwe to Jo'burg. Pilanesberg has more luxurious accommodation at Tshukudu (part of Legacy resorts), or alternatively a number of comfortable resorts which offer both guided game drives as well as giving you the opportunity to drive yourself around.

The two reserves offer quite different experiences so can complement each other well.

Mentioned in this post
Pilanesberg National Park
North-West Province, South Africa
Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: is a week too long in this reserve?

A few years ago I was in Madikwe for 8 nights and it was not enough for me!

Mark September

Small World Tours

Pilanesberg...
Level Contributor
448 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is a week too long in this reserve?

2 nights at Impodimo was enough for me. I would go for 7 days if it was free though :) Sandsy makes sense, you can even still do 2 places in Madikwe + Pilanesberg - just time the Pilanesberg section that you do that midweek if possible.

Regards, Jaco Rautenbach

Owner, Adventure Travel Africa

Mentioned in this post
North-West Province, South Africa
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
179 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is a week too long in this reserve?

There is never enough time in the bush! I would live in it if i could. I do agree with the posts above that you could, and perhaps should, split up your time, so that you can get variety, and also enjoy different perspectives, both of the land, and from the staff at the lodges themselves who all have various specialities e.g. birding, or insects.. Perhaps throw in a luxury lodge, a tented camp, a more basic camp. Try to see if any of the lodges will also do walking trips for you. This breaks up always going on a game drive, and gives you an incredible perspective of the African bush. I feel so close to nature doing this, and have learnt about the Small 5, and the Ugly 5 by doing this!!

You may wish to consider http://www.pilanesbergelephantback.co.za/. I have not done it myself, but have been to the venue during an activity for a conference I was on, and was impressed. This is in the Pilansberg, and could be stop between venues, or on your way to/from airport.

7. Re: is a week too long in this reserve?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 12, 2014