We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madikwe Reserve Lodge - Recommendations

toronto
9 posts
Save Topic
Madikwe Reserve Lodge - Recommendations

We are looking to choose between the following lodges at Madikwe, and would love any thoughts/recommendations to help us decide:

- Buffalo Ridge Safari Lodge

- Impodimo Game Lodge

- Rhulani Safari Lodge

- The Bush House

- Tau Game Lodge

Thanks so much!

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madikwe Reserve Lodge - Recommendations

I would go to Impodimo (stayed there twice, once with wife alone, second time with 10 year old as well)...wonderful staff, lodges luxury. Most important thing was that it is owner-operated: no rules except what you want and they can deliver. Even my wife (whose idea of bush walking is a visit to WalMart) loved it.

Suggestion: ask to do a bush walk as well as the regular game drives....absolutley fascinating and, also, a slight "edge" being on the ground in the bush instead of in a jeep.

Pretoria, South...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Madikwe Reserve Lodge - Recommendations

I havent been to any of the lodges you mentioned in Madikwe, but have been to Mosetlha Bush Cam, also in Madikwe, and can highly recommend them. Rustic camp, great service, excellent game drives - we saw a lot of animals, lion, buffaloe, rhino etc.

Try it, we loved it.

Madikwe Game...
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madikwe Reserve Lodge - Recommendations

Would recommend all, although you may find Tau a bit big and impersonal. Would also recommend Mosetlha Bush Camp. Depends on how long you can go for ... try and do 2 days at the Bush Camp and 1 or 2 at one of the luxury lodges. Game viewing in Madikwe great wherever you stay - the animals don't change! Echo the recommendation to do a walk one morning.

Pretoria, South...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Madikwe Reserve Lodge - Recommendations

I agree with Bush Chick - a couple of days at Mosetlha is well worth it. Check out their website - www.thebushcamp.com. They get my approval!

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madikwe Reserve Lodge - Recommendations

We stayed at Rhulani in early 2005 and had problems with an inexperienced ranger and unprofessional management. We had told them that we had been on over 100 safari drives and they gave us a ranger who had only been at this reserve for 6 weeks and who had no prior experience in a Big 5 area. He was very nervous, especially around the elephants who are more aggressive than I have seen before. You need to have an experienced ranger who really is responsible for your well being and after a couple instances, we did not feel we were safe in his jeep.E-mail the lodges and enquire on the experience of the ranger. In our opinion, the more expensive lodges have the better rangers.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madikwe Reserve Lodge - Recommendations

I would recommend Buffalo Ridge, Impodimo or Tau. To add to your confusion - 3 other excellent lodges to check out are:

Madikwe River Lodge (managed by Three Cities Hotel Group)

Tuningi Safari Lodge (beautiful accommodation; good value for money)

Madikwe Hills - more expensive than the rest, but dependin on your budget, well worth every penny!

7. Re: Madikwe Reserve Lodge - Recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, August 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Madikwe Game Reserve