We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Impodimo??

Which Madikwe Game Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ny
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Impodimo??

Hi - I am planning a trip to South Africa with my family - we are all adults. Is impodimo a good place or are we better off going to another lodge? Someone else told me about madikwe safari lodge - is that better than impodimo? We are viewing this experience as a once in a lifetime opportunity but also don't want to spend a crazy fortune if possible ESP since its high season. Would welcome all thoughts and advice!

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Impodimo??

Impodimo is great but I would recommend Madikwe Safari Lodge over Impodimo purely on location. Both lodges allow kids, so if you prefer a quiet lodge without kids, neither of them would be a good option. Impodimo is in the west, Madikwe Safari Lodge is more in the east. The western part of Madikwe is more kalahari bush (drier) and in my experience the general game viewing on that side is sometimes a bit more difficult than in the east, which has more typical bushveld vegetation.

If this is your once in a lifetime safari experience, and you don't have kids so malaria should not be a major concern, may I ask why you would choose Madikwe as a destination, rather than the Kruger National Park for example? Kruger is only marginally further from Joburg compared to Madikwe (5 hours by road compared to 4 hours) and the risk of malaria is minimal. As a safari destination, there is no game reserve in South Africa that beats the Kruger National Park in my opinion - it really is South Africa's top safari destination with good reason.

Nothing against Madikwe though, I just got back from a trip to Madikwe last week and thoroughly enjoyed it, but there are lodges in the greater Kruger National Park which cost less than most of the lodges in Madikwe. And while the game viewing in Madikwe is good, it is even better in Kruger.

However, if a malaria free destination is important to you, then Madikwe is great and one of the best of the malaria free reserves I have seen.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Pretoria
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Impodimo??

Madikwe in general is a fantastic reserve with the added perk of being malaria free. Impodimo Game Lodge is a wonderful lodge, the food is good the staff are friendly and game drives are fantastic with both a ranger and a tracker conducting game drives. I have never been to Madikwe Safari Lodge so I can't comment on them.

If this is your very first safari experience you cannot go wrong with Impodimo.

In the Kruger Park they do not do any off roading into animal sightings whereas in Madikwe the rangers will go off road to track or follows animals such as lion and leopard to enhance the viewing experience.

I hope this helps you in making your decision.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Impodimo??

The greater Kruger National Park of course includes private reserves which share an unfenced boundary with Kruger itself, such as the Sabi Sand, Timbavati, Klaserie and Balule Game Reserves. So perhaps I should have said greater Kruger. There are many safari lodges on these private reserves in greater Kruger where they also use a guide and tracker, and the vehicles do go off-road. In Kruger itself, the vehicles do not go off-road but the game viewing experience is still much better than in Madikwe, in my experience. More animals, more variety, and a much better chance of seeing leopards and buffalo in particular, which are hard to find in Madikwe. Also, the Kruger Park's accommodation and some of the private lodges cost less then most of the lodges in Madikwe.

I have nothing against Madikwe, it's a fantastic reserve but for a first time safari and if malaria is not a concern (e.g. no young children) the greater Kruger National Park undoubtedly offers better general game viewing. The only exception would be wild dogs and lions, you have a good chance of finding these in Madikwe.

I like the fact that Impodimo uses trackers, there are relatively few lodges in Madikwe who use trackers.

4. Re: Impodimo??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:40 pm, June 19, 2013