We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodge suggestions and drive times

Santa Cruz...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Lodge suggestions and drive times

My family will be in Sun City and would like to do a 3 or 4 day Safari in Madikwe. We will arriving mid-July and traveling with our very mature 7 year old. Can we drive from Sun City to the lodge ourselves? And what lodge would be best lodge with our son? Is there an advantage of Madikwe over Pilanesberg? Thanks!! Any other fun things a 7 year old should experience? Thanks for the help!

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodge suggestions and drive times

Hi - it's definitely possible to drive to Madikwe from Sun City - I have often done that drive! Lodges that I have found to be very child friendly, are Madikwe Safari Lodge & Tuningi Safari Lodge. All depends on your budget though, as Madikwe has a variety of lodges, with different levels of luxury.

Main difference to me between Madikwe & Pilanesberg is that at Madikwe they may drive off road for a certain distance when following high profile animals like the big 5.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Madikwe Game...
Level Contributor
36 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodge suggestions and drive times

It's about an hour and a half from Sun City to Madikwe.

Another difference between Madikwe and Pilanesburg is that there are only lodge vehicles on the game drive roads in Madikwe (no private vehicles at all) and all the field guides are in radio contact with one another - this allows for up close and personal sightings of the game (with never more than 2 other lodge vehicles in any sighting).

A number of lodges in the reserve are child friendly. Mosetlha is not normally touted as such, but is fantastic for introducing children to their natural environment and becoming eco aware. (We are helping to create Little Greenies!) We don't offer kiddie drives or special meal times but you probably want him/her spending time with you on your holiday.

Johannesburg, South...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodge suggestions and drive times

I would also suggest Jaci's and Impodimo. I do know that Impodimo has a special kiddies program for children which keeps them busy between game drive. Things such as plaster of Paris, painting, tracking with the ranger around the lodge etc. Special meals are also provided for the little ones.

i hope this helps

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
902 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodge suggestions and drive times

I also recommend Impodimo for what you are looking for. There were many kids there when we stayed there....all the way from infants on up. They also take young children out on game drives.

It is also very beautiful and the food was very good.

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodge suggestions and drive times

We drive back from Madikwe (Molatedi Gate)to Pilanesburg today - it took just over 1.5hrs. It may take longer from/to the western side of Madikwe.

We stayed at Thakadu with our 8yo and 6yo. Although there were no activities between game drives, they were very much welcomed on the game drives. Thakadu is community owned and staffed with high quality levels of service - it was good to see how much the local community benefit from such initiatives. The quality of our ranger was superb - and this was our 5th visit to Madikwe.

I wouldn't recommend Mosethla with a 7yo. Jaci's is good and Bush House is fine too. I particularly wanted a fenced camp with the children.

6. Re: Lodge suggestions and drive times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, October 30, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Madikwe Game Reserve