We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area in Madikwe for wildlife viewing??

Which Madikwe Game Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Best area in Madikwe for wildlife viewing??

Hi,

Im visiting Madikwe towards the end of August and just wondering if anyone had any views on the best parts of the reserve to visit for wildlife viewing. Ive heard contradicting advice, most seem to say the west but then the majority of the rivers seem to be on the east? Ive been to Sabi a few times and also Amakhosi and Phinda so have seen most of the major game, I am really keen on seeing the wild dogs - is there anywhere in particular they like to hang out??? Also my boyfriend has only seen a leopard once so another leopard sighting would be good. I read in the reviews people commenting that the length of the drives was longer at some places than others - are there any lodges where they really make that extra effort to keep you out there finding things?? Got v frustrated at sabi when we would spend 2hrs trying to track down lions only to be dragged away from them within 5 mins of finding them because it was time for dinner!!! Any help people could give would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!!

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Best area in Madikwe for wildlife viewing??

I 100 % agree with Mokwepa.

To bring the discussion back on track, you will have great sightings no matter where you stay. The longer you stay in the reserve the more ground you will be able to cover and the more opportunities you will have to encounter Madikwe's fantastic variety of wildlife.

You wont be disappointed - that i can assure you.

South Africa
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Best area in Madikwe for wildlife viewing??

The comments re MRL are correct. Re the best areas to view, you will note that particularly in the dry season that Game concentrates around the waterholes and these waterholes are reasoneably spread amongst the various areas of the reserve.

The Marico River is the Eastern Boundry of the reserve and runs for the greater section of such.

The comments re the cost of Air Transfers are correct in as much as they are expensive, but any air transfers anywhere are expensive and if one is on a limited time itinerary certainly makes sense - and it really adds to a special experience having a quick air transfer.

Owner - Madikwe Collection

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best area in Madikwe for wildlife viewing??

I've stayed in 3 different accommodations in Madikwe and all rangers have been able to go off road for Big 5 sightings. They all follow the protocol very strictly in terms of the number of vehicles allowed at each viewing.

Game viewing depends on animal movements as much as anything. Obviously, the ranger's skill also comes into play (and good spotting eyes of others on the vehicle :) ) but as most of the rangers use radio contact, it's usually possible to have a pretty good game viewing experience.

I'm back next year to try out accommodation No. 4!

14. Re: Best area in Madikwe for wildlife viewing??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 26, 2010