We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madikwe Hills Private Game Reserve

florida
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Topic
Madikwe Hills Private Game Reserve

We are trying to decide whether or not to go toMadikwe Hills Private Game reserve. Has anyone been there and is it as luxurious as they say it is? How is the game viewing? We plan to go mid-March; is this a good time of year?

Thanks,

Marilyn

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madikwe Hills Private Game Reserve

Hi Marilyn

We went to MAdikwe end June 07 and stayed at Tuningi. My review is on TA, as well as luxurylink.com

Weatehr was interesting--snowed the day we arrived in JNB (rarity) but days were nice.

We are leaving in a few wks for Mateya Lodge and expect much better weather!! (we have a private plunge pool, so I have my bikini--or not...) We expect higher level of service, food, etc, based on some other reports, here and elsewhere. Not that there was anything non-luxe about Tuningi.

We pair our stay with Misty Hills hotel on the way due to flight arrival times--I would not short-change myself the most expensive accommodation by arriving late at night (don't want to drive PM either)

Hope that helps--happy to add more--there is somne very good advice from pros here, too.

Cheers!

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,542 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madikwe Hills Private Game Reserve

Hi Marilyn - I have stayed at Madikwe HIlls a couple of times - my most recent visit was in January this year. Yes, the lodge really is as luxurious as they say it is!! Definitely one of the most beautiful and most luxurious lodges in Madikwe! Food also very good, as is the service! Game viewing in Madikwe is ususally very good, and mid March will be a great time of the year. Day time temperatures may still be quite hot, so you should be able to enjoy your private plunge pool at your suite during the day, in between safari activities!

All in all, Madikwe Hills is a highly recommended safari lodge!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

florida
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Madikwe Hills Private Game Reserve

Thank you for your advice. How does it compare to Mateya?

Marilyn

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,542 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madikwe Hills Private Game Reserve

hi again Marilyn. I stayed at Mateya in January this year as well. Mateya is much more luxurious than Madikwe Hills. It (Mateya) is also a smaller lodge, and they limit the number of guests per game viewing vehicle to 4. Both are highly recommended lodges, but if you're looking for the ultimate in luxury, then I would recommend Mateya.

florida
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Madikwe Hills Private Game Reserve

Tanya,

What would be your recommendation for our first safari experience? We would love to be in a glass fronted chalet in a deluxe lodge; we also would like to stay within a budget of not more than one thousand per couple per night. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. We are touring for 17 days prior to arriving in Jo'burg and will add on 3 or 4 nights for a safari at that time. We will be there at the end of March.

Again, many thanks.

Marilyn

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,542 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madikwe Hills Private Game Reserve

hi Marily - Just to be sure that I make a recommendation within your budget - is it USD1000.00? - and is this "per person per night" or for the 2 or you together?

florida
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Madikwe Hills Private Game Reserve

Hi Tanya,

That USD 1,000 is for 2 people per night.

Thank you,

Marilyn

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,542 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Madikwe Hills Private Game Reserve

Hi Marilyn. The rates for Mateya will be too high for your budget. Even the rack (normal) rates for Madikwe Hills are a little over your budget, however Madikwe HIlls often gives special offers where you pay for a specific number of nights and receive a night free, so see if you/your tour operator can negotiate one of these special deals for you. If your budget can accommodate it, then my vote would go to Madikwe HIlls.

Other more affordable lodges that are also excellent are Tuningi Safari Lodge & Madikwe Safari Lodge. MSL has a special offer in March of pay for 3 nigths and receive a 4th night free, which is also very good.

Good luck with all of the decisions, and feel free to ask further questions that you may have!

florida
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Madikwe Hills Private Game Reserve

Hi Tanya,

We finally decided on Makanyane Lodge. It looks beautiful and has the glass chalets that I am looking forward to. We hope that we made a good choice. Thanks for your help.

Marilyn

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Madikwe Hills Private Game Reserve

great that you replied and kept us updated--have a wonderful trip and I hope you enjoy every moment.