We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madikwe In Late October

Hampshire
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Madikwe In Late October

Help! We are planning to visit Madikwe Game Reserve in late October this year but are really worried about it being the rainy season and not seeing the big five, etc. Should we be looking at Game Reserves nearer to Cape Town (where we are flying into)? Any advice would be most appricated. Many thanks.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,289 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Madikwe In Late October

October might be the start of the rainy season, but most likely not. 2 years ago the summer rains only began in February.

No proper game reserves near Cape Town. You can look at the game reserves near Port Elizabeth, if you are in the area. Most people opt for Kruger.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
267 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Madikwe In Late October

Madikwe is a grat game reserve, I am not sure they will gaurante the big 5, and if this was the only reserve I was doing while in South Africa, I would rather look at going to somewhere like the Sabi Sands or Timbavati where the game is avaialable in huge numbers. On the rain issue it will not rain every day and rain is lots of fun in the game reserves as the landscape changes overnight!

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madikwe In Late October

Madikwe has some great lodges to choose from, and I would definately not replace it with a game reserve near to Cape Town. If it does rain, it will normally be the odd thunder shower in the afternoon, so your safari activities shouldn't be affected by the weather too much. The game viewing in Madikwe is very good, but as the one previous poster stated, you probably won't see all of the big 5, as the leopard sightings in Madikwe are still few and far between. Is there a specific reason why you are considering Madikwe? Is it because it's malaria free? Another very low risk malaria safari destination which is highly recommended, is Phinda in Kwazulu Natal. If you don't mind taking precautions against malaria, the Sabi Sands or Timbavati are ofcourse first class safari destinations, and during a 2 - 3 night stay, you should see all of the big 5 and many, many more! Please don't think that I am trying to persuade you not to go to Madikwe - I am merely discussing various recommended options. As I said, Madikwe has some great lodges, and you will definately have a great safari at most of them!

4. Re: Madikwe In Late October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 pm, September 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Madikwe Game Reserve