We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family group safari in Kruger Reserves

northern NJ
Level Contributor
181 posts
177 reviews
Save Topic
Family group safari in Kruger Reserves

We are a large family group (6 adults and 6 kids) and are going to be in South Africa late June. We are planning a one week safari in Sabi Sands and Timbavati reserves. So far the best lodges for our requirements (kids plus cost) appear to be Elephant Plains in SSGR and Akeru Safari lodge in Timbavati. This is our first safari and I am looking forward to the group having a memorable time. Game viewing is most important followed by accomodation/food etc.

I am generally comfortable with Elephant Plains, but know very little about Akeru, other than what I found on this board. They supposedly are very kid friendly, have great staff and good food!. I am a bit concerned about "minimal electricity" and the fact it might be cold in the rooms early morning in winter.

I have heard very good things about Gomo Gomo but believe it maybe too rustic for our group. Akeru is in the middle of Timbavati as compared to Gomo Gomo being at the very northern tip, would this impact the game viewing? Also, does anyone know how big Akeru's concession is - I assume like in Sabi Sands each lodge/camp in Timbavati also in general, will need to be restricted to its own concession, unless it has a deal with others bordering it. We are planning to stay 4 nights in Timbavati.

In terms of logistics. How long will it take us to drive from JNB to Sabi Sands and then from Elephant Plains to Akeru. Finally from Akeru to Nelspruit for our flight to CPT.

Thanks

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Family group safari in Kruger Reserves

I suggest you e-mail AFRICADIRECT they would be happy to answer your questions in more detail. They have an extensive knowledge of the areas you are interested in. The one thing I can tell you is that in late June it can be quite cold before the sun comes up on the morning game drive and once it goes down in the evening.

e-mail address: tanya@africadirect.co.za she is visiting one of the game lodges this week so it may be a few days before she answers.

chicago
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family group safari in Kruger Reserves

I just returned from Akeru. Stayed 17.11 to 20.11. They were FANTASTIC. The lodge has fantastic food, great rangers, great service. While there, a family was present and their kids had a great time (ages around 9-11). I don't think you will have any problem with cold/heat. It got somewhat cold while on our game drives because of the rain, and we wore sweaters/sweatshirts around the lodge area. The rooms were fabulous, never once did I get cold. Numerous blankets when needed. We saw 2 prides of lions (one pride viewed extensively), hippo, giraffe, elephants, zebra. Our ride missed the rhinos, but the other ride saw them twice. Very, very memorable. When my kids are older to enjoy it, I hope to be taking them.

Although we drove, we drove from Jo'burg and can't help you there. We went through Hoedspruit. I used www.e-gnu.com to arrange our safari and they were fantastic and have quite a bit of knowledge.

I would go back in a heartbeat!

Have a super time.

3. Re: Family group safari in Kruger Reserves

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 pm, August 21, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Timbavati Private...