We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much wildlife is there in Timbavati?

Berkshire
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
How much wildlife is there in Timbavati?

Hi,

We've been to the Kruger a few times and also to the private reserves in Sabi Sands. we are thinking of coming later this year (April) and thinking of trying Timbavati. Can anyone let me know what the wildlife is like compared to Sabi Sands? (I'm happy just to be there, but I know our 6 and 9 year old will want animals!!!)

Many thanks,

Peter

Mentioned in this post
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,191 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much wildlife is there in Timbavati?

I have a friend who spent 4 or 5 nights at Kings Camp in May and had glorious wildlife experiences. This is a woman with 3 long trips to Kenya & Tanzania the three previous years, so I am comfortable with her assessment and description of the area. Plus, I have seen the photos!

Mentioned in this post
Kings Camp
Kings Camp
397 Reviews
Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, South Africa
Marlow, UK
Level Contributor
177 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much wildlife is there in Timbavati?

The experts will be able to give you the best advice but from what I have read on these forums, game viewing in the Timbavati is supposed to be excellent but Sabi Sands is even better. I have seen the safari tents in Gomo Gomo in the Timbavati highly recommended on here.

London, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much wildlife is there in Timbavati?

Its KNOCKOUT, simple as that. Equally as good, if not better than Sabi Sand (as you'll probably experience less vehicle activity if you go to the right camps too!)

Im off there on Friday again myself (I think about 8th time now) - WAHEY!! :):):)

MarshyM

Mentioned in this post
Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Kruger National Park, South Africa
Berkshire
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much wildlife is there in Timbavati?

Thanks for your advice! Looks like we'll be fine!

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,579 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much wildlife is there in Timbavati?

Hi Peter! Great to hear that you're planning another safari! Game viewing, as you know, can never be predicted, but in my experience it is usually quite good in the Timbavati. I wouldn't rate it as better than the Sabi Sands, but during a 2 - 3 night stay you should still see all of the big 5 and many more wonderful animals! Which lodges are you considering?

Berkshire
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much wildlife is there in Timbavati?

Haven't got down to the final details yet! Still got research to do, but like the sound of Kambaku. Initially selected because I thought the location within Timbavati looked good - I worry about anything too close to the outer fences as (I have assumed) there is less chance of traversing game.

7. Re: How much wildlife is there in Timbavati?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, September 16, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Timbavati Private...