We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Infos about Kapama

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Infos about Kapama

Hi everyone,

I have booked 2 nights at Kapama River Lodge for my honeymoon. It iwll be my first experience ever in a Safari (actually, first time in Africa as well). I'm going to spend another 4 nights in Cape Town and then fly to Tanzania (zanzibar) so I am curious and excited about everything, specially the Safari part.

I've bought a few books, read a lot and etc. But there's nothing like talking to experts. So, basically, what I wanna know is:

- What should I wear? Is it to warm in November? (I am brazilian so when I think of warm I really mean it)

- What's the best mosquito repellent?

- How is the food? and what are the average prices on Kapama (for an extra snack for example - just so I can know how much should I take)

- Tipping? how does it work in SA?

- Most importantly: What is a typical day in a game reserve??

That is it. For now..

Aprreciate your replies in advance.

Cheers

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
96 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Infos about Kapama

Hi, firstly I'll be visiting Kapama for the first time at the end of October but I have been to Kruger many times and also to other private game lodges so I have a pretty good idea what to expect.

Weather: It should be fairly warm, in the 30C range

wunderground.com/history/…MonthlyHistory.html

So cool clothing is a good idea. Shorts and T-shirts, closed shoes are a good idea if you are going to be walking in the bush. Normally the game lodges are not strict regarding clothing but sometimes discourage bright coloured clothing as it attracts insects (irritating). Also I would suggest something warm (just a light jacket) for the evening game drives.

Mosquitos: There are two very common brands: Peaceful Sleep and Tabard (Im sure there are plenty more these days, in spray and cream form). I would also suggest talking to your doctor about malaria pills (for prevention). It is also recommended to wear long sleeve shirts and long pants in the evenings and early mornings.

Food prices: Sorry since I haven't been there yet I dont know. But I would say it is safe to assume that minibar prices will be significantly higher than in stores. since Kapama is full board you will have to pay for the extras and bar bill.

Tipping: In SA tipping is normally 10% for waiters. It is also customary to tip your game ranger (guide) and tracker, this depends on how long you have been staying there, how successful the drives have been and your overall impression of them (how knowledgeable, friendly they are etc.). Just keep in mind that there is always the element of luck when going to look for animals in the wild (this is not a Zoo), and these animals have also evolved to stay hidden....sometimes they are not so easy to see.

Typical day: (in similar private game reserves)

Starts early, coffee and a snack and off on game drive around 6am

You should be back by about 09:00-10:00 for breakfast/brunch

Typically you have the rest of the afternoon to yourself, swim, read, relax

Many lodges don't serve lunch, but at around 15:00 they serve high tea along with pastries, sandwiches, snacks and fruit , I don't recall ever going hungry :)

Then you go on your evening game drive, after which you return for dinner.

I'll stop there and leave the rest as a surprise :-D

I'll post my review early in November

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Infos about Kapama

wow. amazing post!!!

Thanks a lot Quad. Really aprreciate the time you took for providing this valuable information. especially the tipping part as I had now idea i have to tip the tracker and the ranger.

BTW, I am thinking in taking some brazilian national team shirts (football team) to distribute to the nice fellows that certainly will cross our way in the safari (and also the resort in tanzania) as i believe SA people appreciate football.

Would that be okay? I mean.. to tip no only money but also a gift?

cheers

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
96 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Infos about Kapama

Hi D, you are very welcome.

I think the idea of the football shirts is a great idea. Yes, especially after the world cup and giving something from your home country will be a nice touch. The Brazilian national team has a lot of supporters in SA...if Bafana is not playing.

Something to keep in mind, tips are a way of supplementing the income for the hospitality staff so the rangers, trackers, barmen and waiters, and this form of income is significant (not sure of the % relative to their base salaries). So I would say, give the soccer shirts to those who really impress you or spend a lot of time with you (like ranger and tracker), if you feel you would like to then you can give them also a modest "donation" in cash.

ciao

Peoria
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Infos about Kapama

I was at Kapama River Lodge January 2012 and it was wonderful.. We saw the Big 5 after our 3rd safari but the two highlights were the mama lion with the cubs and the elephants at the watering hole. The guides/drivers are very knowledgabe and obviously love what they do..

We stayed in the spa rooms and I can't say enough about how nice the room was. The food was just okay nothing special.

I would highly recommend this lodge just remember to have enough memory cards as I filled mine and the little shop didnt have anyl.

5. Re: Infos about Kapama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 pm, December 01, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Kapama Private Game...
More Kapama Private Game Reserve Topics