We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question:Transportation to Singita Sabi Sand (South Africa)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Question:Transportation to Singita Sabi Sand (South Africa)

I will be traveling to Singita Sabi Sand from Johannesburg though I am not sure what is the best way to get there? I know that there are flights to singita, but is it wise for me to rent a car and do the 5 hour drive from Johannesburg? I am not sure whether or not it is a good idea to drive given safety, road conditions, etc? Can anyone please help.

Thank You,

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,923 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question:Transportation to Singita Sabi Sand (South Africa)

assuming you are starting the day in Johannesburg, there are three ways to get to Singita that I normally use or recommend. In order from cheapest/slowest to most expensive/fastest:

1. Rent car and drive 6.5 (not 5) hours.

2. Fly commercial on SAA or BA from JNB to Nelspruit/MQP. From there you can rent a car and drive 2.5 hours or get a road transfer for about R1,500 (for two people) or charter fly for about R1,800 per person.

3. Charter from JNB-Singita for about R2,350 per person.

How did you book this trip? Whoever booked this for you should have advised you how to get there. If you booked direct what exchange rate did your credit card offer you? I am curious because I heard that the credit card companies are exchanging money with a margins in excess of 3% so you should look at the rate your card converts currency at before you charge something in Rand. They make their money by converting your Rand charges to dollars at a better rate than what they actually convert at when they pay the supplier.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,069 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question:Transportation to Singita Sabi Sand (South Africa)

If driving interests you, then be assured it is safe. Good roads, easy to figure out - until you get to the last hour or so. But I do it, my clients do it, and - if you are staying overnight at the JNB airport and can start the next morning, then I say it's a good idea.

On the other hand, if you are flying in from the US and just arriving early AM, then no.. you need to fly to the Nelspruit airport and pay for a road transfer to Singita.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
2 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question:Transportation to Singita Sabi Sand (South Africa)

Just take the Federal Air shuttle to Singita. The terminal is right next door to the Intercontinental Hotel (right outside international terminal). Federal Air will transfer you to their terminal and the flight to Singita is 1 hour in a 30 - 40 jet. It was great service from start to finish. They'll even keep your extra luggage and have it ready for you upon your return to Jo'burg. We were travelling to Cape Town after safari and left our large luggage at Federal Air.

Level Contributor
432 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question:Transportation to Singita Sabi Sand (South Africa)

If you want to fly by charter, I would recommend Bataleur Air. It tends to be cheaper, and they do not have many of the weight rules that Fedair has. They will also pick you up directly at most airport hotels.

5. Re: Question:Transportation to Singita Sabi Sand (South Africa)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 18, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Singita Private Game...
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question