We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Transfers to Inyati Game Reserve

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Road Transfers to Inyati Game Reserve

Hello,

I am planning a trip to Inyati Game reserve in February, I am all booked for 3 days before flying to Cape Town to enjoy the SeaBoard and Sites.

I am debating whether to drive to Nelspruit (KMIA) from JNB, and then have a Road Transfer take me the rest of the way to Inyati. I would prefer to fly, but the costs of flights to Inyati are around $400 RT, and if I fly into Nelspruit I would still need a road transfer to Inyati - the lodge charges $89 pp eachway for a Road Transfer plus fees to enter the park. Flights on SAA are about $90 each way, which isn't bad, but the lodge transfer fees are a bit much. It all adds up.

My question is - does anyone know of a more affordable Road Transfer company, or a another local Air carrier that goes to Inyati that is more affordable that $400 RT?

I am excited about my trip, but don't want to waste money on transfers, I rather put it to my stay in Cape Town. Help!

Thanks!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,065 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Transfers to Inyati Game Reserve

If you are going to drive from Joburg to Nelspruit why not just drive all the way. It is only another couple of hours max. Don't worry about the cost of leaving the car doing nothing for the three days. As you say the transfer would be US180 both ways - asumming you are alone - $360 for two people. A standard economy car with aircon would cost $69 for three extra days - the daily cost would also be less for 4 days than for 1 so the aditional cost would probably be less.

Book using an Internet broker such as www.carhire4less.co.uk or www.carhire3000.com Car will come from one of the major companies. Normally Hertz, Europcar or Budget. It would just cost you about 40 percent less by booking through a broker rather than with the company direct. No other difference!

Edited: 6:21 pm, December 21, 2010
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,283 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Transfers to Inyati Game Reserve

Good advice if you decide to drive from Johannesburg. In fact, those transfer rates are exactly normal. To collect you off a flight from Johannesburg and drive you the 2 1/2 hours to Inyati means the transfer driver is committed for virtually the entire day. It's likely he could not book any other business that day. I just checked my wholesale rate with the company I use for my clients - and from the Nelspruit airport to Inyati would cost me $88 at today's rate of exchange. You'll find that most lodges do NOT add a markup to transfer rates, but charge guests what the transfers cost the camp.

PS - I think you will really enjoy Inyati..

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

3. Re: Road Transfers to Inyati Game Reserve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 am, December 22, 2010
4. Re: Road Transfers to Inyati Game Reserve

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 am, December 22, 2010
5. Re: Road Transfers to Inyati Game Reserve

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:54 am, June 21, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Inyati Private Game...