We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inyati or Mala Mala

dallas
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Inyati or Mala Mala

We are trying to decide between Inyati and Mala Mala. My friend wants to stay at Inyati because the cost is slightly less. Are we going to be missing out on something by staying there. What makes Mala Mala so much better? Thanks!

United States
Level Contributor
783 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inyati or Mala Mala

I haven't stayed at Mala Mala but I stayed at Inyati in May 2009.

My vote is strongly for Inyati. I had the most amazing time and I absolutely cannot imagine I could have been any happier anywhere else. You'll already be at your peak happiness at Inyati so even if Mala Mala has a bit more posh rooms or slightly more animals, who cares. Just look at Inyatis reviews and you'll see pretty much everyone felt the same. You probably won't be any happier than at Inyati and with Inyati, you'll have more money in your pockets.

What does make a big difference though is the time of year you go. Regardless of which hotel you stay at, go during the better safari months.

Edited: 1:00 am, January 14, 2010
SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,554 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inyati or Mala Mala

I have stayed at both MM and Inyati. Both offer excellent game viewing, so no matter which one of these lodges you go to, you should have wonderful wildlife sightings. The difference in price is in things like more luxury in accommodation, better food, fewer guests per game viewing vehicle, and the MM rangers are known as some of the best in the industry. If you can afford to up your budget to MM, it will definitely be worth it, but having said that, I send A LOT of clients to Inyati, and everyone has always loved the lodge - they offer a very good value for money safari experience, and if you choose to go there to safe some money, you will still have an amazing safari!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

dallas
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Inyati or Mala Mala

Thank you! I think I read one of your posts about Inyati before and that's why we were thinking about it. We are going the end of November/beginning of December 2010....don't know if that's the best time, but that's the only time we have to go. Thanks for your help.

United States
Level Contributor
783 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inyati or Mala Mala

So are you deciding on Inyati or Mala Mala?

dallas
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Inyati or Mala Mala

Probably Inyati...checking with my fellow travelers, but I'm sure that's the one they'll decide on too! Can't wait!

african bush
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Inyati or Mala Mala

I agree with the above, both Inyati and MM have sand river frontage which is important that time of the to ensure good game viewing. so the difference would be :

1.price

2.Inyati shares property with +/- 7 other lodges were MM has thee own property( will bump into other vehicles there will be a time limit on the sighting +/- 15-20min)

3.Inyati you might be 8-10 on a vehicle MM not more than 6 unless your group is more

4. At Inyati you will be back for breakfast at a specific time , at MM they dont have a specific time for you to be back at the lodge

If you have the budget try MM ,if you are restricted with buget Inyatyi is very good value for money,as mentioned before the game viewing will be good at both .

Edited: 12:46 am, January 17, 2010
dallas
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Inyati or Mala Mala

Yes, we'd like a little more exclusivity when it comes to game viewing...thanks for breaking it down by lodge. Someone else has now recommended Exeter Dulini and we are looking into that....sounds like they are more comparable to MM.

african bush
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Inyati or Mala Mala

Exeter Dulini is a lovely lodge , situated on a dry river bed, it has a homely feel to it. Its a smaller lodge with 6 rooms so max 6 on the vehicle , how ever the same game viewing rules apply at Dulini as at Inyati as they traverse on the same property, so if its privacy in game viewing you are looking for with unlimited time in a sighting then I would recommend MM.

The amount of game you will see is the same on both MM and Dulini,and Inyati. Both are excellent properties, at MM you will be able to spend more time with the animals but you wont necessary see more than at the other lodges.

United States
Level Contributor
783 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inyati or Mala Mala

OP says they are going end of Nov beginning of Dec. Isn't that the summer months which will have the worse game viewing, especially for the lodges she/he's thinking of?

Should a different lodge be considered for better game viewing during those non-peak months?

United States
Level Contributor
783 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inyati or Mala Mala

Forgot to mention, I can't imagine your viewing time during the non-peak months would be limited at either Inyati or MM.

I was at Inyati at end of May/beginning of June which is the very start of the peak season. We stayed like 45 minutes sometimes - I don't remember ever staying just 15/20 minutes and they would always ask us if we wanted to stay longer or not. During non-peak, I would think you'd have no problems.

I did see 2 other vehicles maximum at a time, 2 times during a 2-day safari. That didn't seem like a lot to me but if it will bother you and MM has less, then that's something to consider.

MM has more vehicles I think than Inyati though (even if there are other bordering lodges) so is the OP really still going to see less vehicles at MM than at Inyati during the non-peak months?

So you're definitely not able to go during another month? I think it makes an enormous difference, at least that's what it sounded like from what our safari guide told us.

Get answers to your questions about Inyati Private Game...