We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exeter Lodges

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Exeter Lodges

Which of the Exeter Lodges, in the Sabi Sand Reserve would be most suitable for an elderly single male traveler? Leadwood apparently is the most luxurious but with only four units it sounds more like a romantic hideaway. I don't want to be the fifth wheel on a four-wheel buggy!

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exeter Lodges

Leadwood caters for everyone, from romantic honeymooners, to friends traveling together, to single travelers. You can't go wrong with this choice. Exeter Rive and Dulini are also great lodges, and I am sure you'll feel right at home there too, but if at all possible, go for Leadwood - you won't be disappointed!

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exeter Lodges

Does it have to be an Exeter lodge? There are so many great lodges in the same area, you don't have to limit your choice to Exeter lodges only, in my opinion. Idube is also good, Leopard Hills is great (but more expensive), Mala Mala is superb.

Nothing wrong with Leadwood though, if you can get availability. Whether you feel like a fifth wheel will depend partly on the other guests that are there at the time (at any of these lodges you may be among couples who happen to be staying there), and mostly on you - you are there to enjoy it, see the wildlife, take in the views, and as a single traveler you will not be out of place at any of these lodges, so there is no need to feel like a fifth wheel.

Have fun!

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Exeter Lodges

I've been to Mala Mala in 2004 and to Inyati September of this year.-- -- -- 2007 will probably be my last trip to South Africa. I'm considering going to Madikwe Safari Lodge first and then going to Leadwood. I'm use to being a single traveler but the Leadwood Lodge has such few units I wasn't sure about it.

I'm going to the Madikwe Reserve in hopes of seeing wild dogs. They have a resident pack now. I've seen the big five many times over but wild dogs and the black rhino have been hard to come by.

Both of these lodges are operated by CC and they offer a discount for longer stays.

bdk
SA
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Exeter Lodges

Hi there!

Madikwe is great but when I was there in August we heard that there were only maybe two wild dogs left as the packs had broken out and some had to be destroyed. I(Maybe they have been introduced again since- I don't know.) If you want a gauranteed sighting of wild dogs you can join a conservationist, who is doing research on them and who tracks a pack every day, (some of the dogs have been fitted with radio collars). You will then also learn a lot about these fantastic predators. This is in Limpopo Province, near the Mapungubwe National Park. It is also not expensive. If you need further info I can put you in touch with someone. E-mail me at bdk@ddkk.co.za

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Exeter Lodges

Madikwe Hills puts out a ranger report and in their November 2006 report they have a pack of eight dogs in the reserve. They have had 2 releases recently. Hopefully they will survive, as I would really like the opportunity to see them. Even if they are there. there is no guarantee that we would be able to find them. But it's worth a shot. As I say 2007 is going to be my last chance.

Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
335 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exeter Lodges

i stayed at Leadwood Lodge this past May and loved It!!!. I was part of a couple but there were also single people as well. You will be out on a three hour game drive in the morning as well as a three hour drive in the afternoon. The game drives with the other guests are so interesting/exciting that a genuine feeling of comraderie developes! You really feel a part of an intimate group. I am on the introverted side and do not tend to meet people easily but this dynamic was very "easy". When you add in the meal times, there is not a lot of "downtime". You spend most of your time as part of a group. It is very peaceful and quiet with only a capacity of 10 guests, which I preferred (there were only four when I was there!). The accomodations and staff were excellent! It was the highlight of my trip to South Africa!

7. Re: Exeter Lodges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, August 17, 2009