We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental tips and GPS

Randolph, New Jersey
9 posts
Save Topic
Car rental tips and GPS

Hi,

My wife and I are planning on renting a small car from Jo-burg airport (JNB) and then self-driving to Sabi Sands Game Reserve and Kruger Park for 4 days. We are staying at Chitwa Chitwa.

What is the cheapest way to rent a car for 4 days if we are arriving at Jo-burg airport and also dropping the car off to Jo-burg airport?

Also, do the GPS systems provided by a car rental company (like Europcar) work well for route guidance for driving to Kruger/Sabi Sands area?

We will also have an iPad in the car (with South African SIM card) for additional route guidance. Is the rented GPS system necessary with iPad's Google Maps?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks much!

Victor

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg Intl Airport
Johannesburg Intl Airport
Johannesburg, South Africa
Arkansas
Level Contributor
199 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Car rental tips and GPS

I flew up, rented and car, and just used my Mapquest and didn't have a problem at all!

As to the iPhone/iPad charger, no problems at all. You can even grab a one of those cheap adapters (not converter) and plug that puppy into the wall. Apple stuff is made to be plugged in to any part of the world you can get to. :-)

12. Re: Car rental tips and GPS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 02, 2014