We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lion Sands or Ulasaba Safari Lodge ?

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
4,660 posts
457 reviews
Save Topic
Lion Sands or Ulasaba Safari Lodge ?

We have been to Arathusa 3 years ago - loved it -but are struggling to get the dates we want this Sept.We are trying to decide between the above 2 lodges instead .Ideally we want great game viewing from our own verandahs to a waterhole or river and game drives with high levels of lion viewings -both sound like they should deliver this.Luxury levels aren't a priority overall - Arathusa got it about right for us before.

I'd really appreciate any up to date opinions on these two lodges re game viewing quality.

We plan 4 nights at the one Lodge this time probably self-driving in also.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
4,660 posts
457 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Lion Sands or Ulasaba Safari Lodge ?

Thank you so much to everyone for your input and opinions - so helpful! Our eyes have been watering a bit at the prices of both Lodges and we are starting to look , as suggested , at alternatives - nyati is coming out strong and I note how great the reviews are and its river setting is a big plus -as well as cost.I picked that up from your earlier postings Dave and you have been to so many.

As there are 3 of us the additional single supplements we are being quoted are staggering,so that's another factor.

Anyway - overall, it's a very nice problem to have,deciding on safari lodges!

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
4,660 posts
457 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Lion Sands or Ulasaba Safari Lodge ?

That is just fantastic re the lion at camp....! No, we haven't tried Rattray's - I think our problem now is we have left it quite late and Sept is peak season from what we are told so many places are booked up or can only offer 1 room and we need 2 (or family accommodation).I have a couple of other options now but we need to decide sooner rather than later.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
4,660 posts
457 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Lion Sands or Ulasaba Safari Lodge ?

Hi Mike - I am interested in the new traversing area at Lion Sands that you mention, as that was a concern of mine.It seemed relatively small compared with Ulusaba/Inyati/Exeter etc.which cover a huge area but I take the point you make about time considerations re .crossing very extensive areas.

We have a good option still on a Superior River room at Lion Sands - Ivory Lodge is really taking things out of our preferred budget unfortunately,although it looks superb with direct river frontage.The tight-fisted Scot in me is baulking at forking out that sort of cash! If,as is likely, we will get pretty good views from Superior River Rooms.

Many thanks for your views Mike, very helpful indeed.

14. Re: Lion Sands or Ulasaba Safari Lodge ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, March 30, 2013