We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

honeymoon safari for 9 days, mid priced lodge recs

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
honeymoon safari for 9 days, mid priced lodge recs

Hi everyone

I've searched through this forum but haven't found quite the advice I'm after so any help would be appreciated.

We'd like to go on safari for our honeymoon in mid March - mid April 2012 and were planning to spend about 9 days in Africa. I've read great things about the Sabi Sands. It seems like there are a lot of really gorgeous luxury lodges (but they are all beyond what we'd want to pay!)

We would like to spend between 4000 - 8000 rand per night for two people and are interested in something nice with great game viewing and preferably situated somewhere scenic (we are hobby photographers). Does anyone have any recommendations?

Also, from what people say on this forum it seems like people stay at one place for about 3 days. Are there any areas in particular that anyone would recommend combining with Sabi Sands? We were thinking about going to see Victoria Falls and the Ockovango Delta but we're not sure if we could fit that all in.

Thanks!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,364 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: honeymoon safari for 9 days, mid priced lodge recs

I'll work backwards... Going to the Okavango would be at the top end of your budget and involve some air costs that would also add to the expenses. But you could just do it all in Botswana and have Vic Falls at the start or the end of your trip.

Speaking now of Sabi Sand.. Elephant Plains has Rondavels for R2070PP and the Luxury Suites for R2970PP. The Honeymoon Suite is R3370PP. Its next door neighbor, Simbambili has a 3-for-2 that would would wok out to R3235PP. http://www.simbambiligamelodge.co.za/

Great wildlife and accommodations available in Sabi Sand within your budget.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: honeymoon safari for 9 days, mid priced lodge recs

Thanks for your advice Dave.

Are there any lodges in particular in Botswana you would recommend for great game viewing and in a similar price range? And places for viewing Victoria Falls.

Elephant Plains looks great. I think we might stay there for 3 nights and then move somewhere else for another 3 before heading to Botswana (or starting from Botswana and going the other way).

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,364 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: honeymoon safari for 9 days, mid priced lodge recs

Going to Botswana (or Victoria Falls) means you leave Johannesburg in the morning. So it fits a schedule best for travelers with an early AM arrival at JNB from overseas - or those who stay overnight at the airport. The flight to Maun, Botswana leaves JNB at 1010AM. Flights to either Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe or Livingstone Zambia (the two airports that serve visits to the Falls) also leave mid-morning. The trip is a sort of 'loop' that can start at the Falls or at Maun and returns to Johannesburg. You would need a minimum of 7 or 8 days to make it worthwhile, in my opinion. And the costs of your flights from, and back to JNB, will probably run $600PP. Further, there are road transfers and flights within Botswana that will add another $300+PP.

Speaking of specific camps in Botswana - Wilderness Safaris has a number of Classic camps - their lower priced range - that you could consider. AndBeyond has camps that would work. Desert & Delta is another operator with camps that might work. But in all these cases, figure on $1000 per night as a general number. Some would be more, some might be less.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: honeymoon safari for 9 days, mid priced lodge recs

I would recommend a few lodges in Botswana. I must say that I really enjoy the Desert & Delta Lodges and the Ker & Donwey Lodges in Botswana as I find that they are reasonably priced and clients love it there. You mentioned mid priced lodges and that is exactly what these are.

Desert and Delta has excellent locations in the Okavango Delta, in the Moremi Game Reserve, Savute Region of the Chobe NP and the Chobe River region. They are well positioned and in the Botswana reserves.

In March the Desert and Delta have Green Season rates which are excellent. at USD 454 per person per night and in April mis season they are at USD 535 per person per night. If you add the flights to Botswana and the charter flights to the lodges that pushes the price up. April is better for game viewing in Botswana.

You could stay 2 nights Delta, 2 nights Moremi, 2 nights Savute, 2 nights Chobe River region and 1 night at the Victoria Falls. 2 nights are sufficient per region. if you prefer 3 nights then I would suggest dropping the Chobe River Region and staying 3 nights at the other regions.

Enjoy planning your safari!

Walter Kohrs (Owner - Safari Online)

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: honeymoon safari for 9 days, mid priced lodge recs

One more thing! In Livingstone you should go to the Royal Livingstone! You will love every moment of it!

Walter

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: honeymoon safari for 9 days, mid priced lodge recs

Your budget is good, and as you are hobby photographers, I would recommend that when choosing your safari lodges, you try to as much as possible, keep to lodges that do not allocate more than 6 guests per game viewing vehicle. Some lodges allocate up to 9 guests per vehicle, meaning that there is a chance of you being seated 3 in a row. This makes photography almost impossible, as you will not have enough space for your equipment and will then also not have good views in all of the sightings. Maximum 6 means you're no more than 2 in a row, which is then great for game viewing/photographic purposes.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

7. Re: honeymoon safari for 9 days, mid priced lodge recs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 16, 2012