We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sabi Sands

new york
Level Contributor
107 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Sabi Sands

Which is better safari experience Mala Mala Mian Camp or Cheetah Plains?

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sabi Sands

We have only stayed at Mala Mala [Rattrays] but the game viewing was fantastic. Had some great sightings and many from our room. The viewing was also incredible on our more recent stay in the western sector [Exeter].

So unless someone can answer who has been to both of the lodges and do a direct comparison, [one of the travel agents may help] you might need to have a look at the reviews for each lodge, they will give you a really good idea.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sabi Sands

Hi - I have been to both lodges, though not to Cheetah Plains since they are under new management. I visited the lodge a couple of times when it was still the Djuma Bush Lodge. Both lodges will give you a great safari experience, but between the 2, I would choose MM. Interesting that you are comparing these 2 lodges though - are they the only ones with availability for your dates of travel?

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

3. Re: Sabi Sands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 pm, May 09, 2011
new york
Level Contributor
107 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sabi Sands

These are not the only lodges available. Do you have any suggestions? I am traveling with my husband and adult daughter and we would prefer camps that triple occupancy. we would like to go to Sabi and Botswana to camps that can go off road.

Edited: 11:19 pm, May 08, 2011
5. Re: Sabi Sands

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

6. Re: Sabi Sands

new york
Level Contributor
107 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sabi Sands

Are there any other suggestions ? These are lodges that have been recommended to me. we are a party of three adults going to South Africa and Botswana in july 2012.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sabi Sands

Depending on your daughter's age, there are many lodges that allow triple occupancy. To make the best possible advice on which lodge would be best suitable to your family, please give us an indication of your budget, and I'm sure all of the contributors to the forum will then be more than happy to make recommendations!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

new york
Level Contributor
107 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sabi Sands

My daughter is an adult 27 years old.

We do not want "over the top lodges" but ones that will us value for our money and some comfort - seeing the best wildlife is what we are here for.

My daughter does have seasonal allergies here in USA. I am not sure if that will be an issue here.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sabi Sands

If your top concern is only the safari experience, and you are looking for value, go with the cheapest.

Most of the lodges have agreements with each other to cross onto each others land, and the rangers are all on the radio with each other, so if one sees an animal, almost everyone gets a chance to see the same animal. The exception is one that starts with an M that has the biggest share of land, they don't have agreements with the others because they have more than enough on their own, and apparently they have a few resident cheetah. So if you won't go home happy unless you see cheetah, you're probably better off with that one.

We saw rhino on the first and last of our drives (out of 6) , leopard on 4 out of 6 drives, 3 lions (1 time) , cheetah twice (thanks to luck and a radio call from another lodge) , lots of elephants, zebra, buffalo, giraffe, hippo.

They are wild animals, so there's never a guarantee. But since most of the land is shared, and they are all in communication, the safari experience will be similar. The price difference will be based on better quality food, luxurious accommodations, private pools etc, and maybe the amount of land the lodge owns. We also noticed a couple of the other lodges' jeeps had wood trim on the arm rests instead of just metal and maybe newer jeeps in general. All the jeeps were the same size and configuration. Some of them had fewer people, but even with ours fully occupied, everyone had great views (no more than 3 across, and no roof). You aren't allowed to get up and move around anyway.

Get answers to your questions about Sabi Sand Game Reserve