We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lion Sands River vs Exeter Dulini vs Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Lion Sands River vs Exeter Dulini vs Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge

All,

We are planning to go to Sabi Sands in Sept/Oct next year and looking for a luxury resort that costs less than USD $2000 per night for 2 people. Based on bit of research it seems these 3 would be good candidates. Lion Sands Ivory and Londolozi Tree camp get mentioned but they are more expensive. Dulini right now has a special for pay for 3 and stay 4, which makes it particularly good value. I was wondering out of these 3 which one will people recommend. Also is there any other lodge we should look at?

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,409 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lion Sands River vs Exeter Dulini vs Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge

I would choose Dulini - really a lovely small property with lush accommodations. Only 6 chalets - no more than 6 guests in a Land Rover on game drives.

I shot this 'on the run' - and the plunge pool on the deck of the chalet isn't in it - but you can see how nice it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBBIpG4bQfc

Further, besides the 4-for-3 - if you are there from 16SEPT to 10OCT, you would have Low season rates.

I looked at availability - and 4 consecutive nights are available in that period almost all through. Only 'full' nights are 21SEPT, and 28, 29, 30SEPT.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Edited: 4:00 pm, November 15, 2010
SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,534 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lion Sands River vs Exeter Dulini vs Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge

I agree with Dave that the Dulini deal really is a very good offer, and it definitely is a highly recommended lodge! Bit unfair to compare Earth Lodge with the other 2 lodges, as Earth is MUCH more expensive, but also MUCH more luxurious, with more personalised service, etc. If you are looking for a very luxurious and exclusive honeymoon safari, then Earth Lodge is definitely an excellent choice.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lion Sands River vs Exeter Dulini vs Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge

Tanya,

I picked-up Dulini simply because it was suggested to me. So were Londolozi Varty camp, Earth lodge and Lion Sands river lodge.

I would have loved to stay in Singita Boulder, but that's almost 50% more than what I am looking to spend.

What I am really looking for is most luxurious resort under $2000 per night for the couple.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,534 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lion Sands River vs Exeter Dulini vs Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge

Dulini is very luxiours and great value for money, so I would go with that recommendation on the "pay for 3, stay for 4" night offer!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,850 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lion Sands River vs Exeter Dulini vs Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge

Hi there.

I also have to agree with Tanya and Dave, the offer at Dulini makes it excellent value especially compared to many other. It is a really beautiful lodge and you are incredibly well looked after.

I would also suggest you look at Rattrays on Mala Mala. It is a magnificent lodge overlooking the river and the rooms/khayas are amazing and extremely luxurious, would be just wonderful for a honeymoon. It is the type of room you do not want to leave, plus it is within your budget @ $1750 per night [currently].

We stayed at both lodges in September and did not want to leave either one ! Have a look at our reviews or trip report for more detail.

Although the other lodges you are considering are clearly also very luxurious, both Dulini and Rattrays seem to be much better value for money in comparison.

6. Re: Lion Sands River vs Exeter Dulini vs Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:28 am, May 18, 2011