We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping jeep safari guides?

Cinnaminson, New...
Level Contributor
88 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping jeep safari guides?

Could someone please tell me if tipping the safari guides is customary or even permitted? If so, can you provide some guidance as to what we be considered a fair/customary amount? I'm staying at the Elephant Plains, and the whole package is all-inclusive, so I'm not sure how of the "fee" is for the safari trips. Any advice/guidance that you can give is appreciated, as I don't know the expectations.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,768 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping jeep safari guides?

Hi,

You'll find a load of advice on this if you do a search on 'tipping', here.

There's probably info on the Elephant Plains website about tipping. If not look at another lodge's site. You can also ask the management of the lodge when you arrive.

In brief - Tipping is expected and augments the meagre wages that are the norm in the industry.

If you check the exclusions on your package, I'm fairly sure one of them will be staff gratuities.

These guys will turn your trip into an unforgettable adventure. The least you can do is show your appreciation.

USA
Level Contributor
703 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping jeep safari guides?

Definitely permitted. Certainly customary, as that is how employees in the tourism survive.

Do check with either the lodge if you are booking directly or your agent. They'll have current info.

In South Africa I've tipped $10-$15/day for the guide and $7-$12/day for the ranger and about $7/day for the staff .

Have a good trip. I've heard such nice things about EP!

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping jeep safari guides?

Hey Lynn,

Good to see you contributing here as well. Always nice to see your posts, and we'd like to see more of you in the SA forum!

LOL! Welcome.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,534 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping jeep safari guides?

AndBeyond - which has 4 safari lodges/camps in Sabi Sand suggests $20 per couple for the Ranger (or Guide) $15 for the Tracker, $15 for the Camp Staff.

I suggest to my clients $25 per couple per day for the Ranger, about the same as the AndBetyond numbers for the others. And I remind them that a 3-night stay takes place over 4 days, so they can consider adding that 4th day when they compute their tips.

Dave Patterson - Owner, The Africa Safari

Edited: 8:33 pm, March 20, 2010
5. Re: Tipping jeep safari guides?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, September 17, 2010