We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 nights for a safari - what to do?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
74 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
6 nights for a safari - what to do?

We will have 6 nights to spend in the Kruger area. We would like to do 4 nights at Elephant Plains or possibly Arathusa in the Sabi Sands area. Should we transfer to another lodge in Sabi Sands or look at another reserve such as Timbavati? Any recommendations for the 2nd lodge? We'd like to keep it under $600 or $700/night for 2 of us. We're open to any suggestions.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 nights for a safari - what to do?

Personally, I wouldn't combine a safari at Elephant Plains with one at Arathusa. These 2 lodges are very near to each other, and share the same game viewing traversing area. If I were you, I would choose a lodge that conducts game drives in a total different area.

Consider Ngala Safari Lodge in the Timbavati - excellent big 5 game viewing, great rangers, food, service, etc. Definately a very good combination with Elephant Plains!

When are you planning on doing your safari?

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
74 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 nights for a safari - what to do?

We're hoping to go in October, November, or December, most likely in 2010.

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,810 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 nights for a safari - what to do?

blue frog,

i think a great combo with the sabi sands is pafuri. it is in the far northern section of the kruger national park in a private concession. it is significantly different from the sabi sands. the timbavati is relatively close. i have been to ngala and it is a good camp, but only about 40 miles north of ep and arathusa.

if you are really adventurous, you could do the whole thing as a self drive from johannesburg. i did this exact trip in december last year. i have also done it every other way (commercial air + road transfer, road tranfer, rental car, charter flight).

don't forget that united and saa now offer non-stop service from new york to south africa. i have clients from chicago fly to new york the night before and catcht the direct flight to jnb from jfk. you can do it all on one ticket and save a bunch of money.

another great combo is sabi sands and mashatu.

craig beal - owner - travel beyond

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,363 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 nights for a safari - what to do?

October & November are high season and your budget won't work for the majority of places in Sabi Sand.. except.. from Dec 1 to the 20th, the Andbeyond camps offer low season rates and good discounts. Might work for you at Kirkman's, Exeter River, or Dulini. Ngala Safari Lodge in Timbavati has discounts, too, during that 20 days in December. Look at the AndBeyond.com site for more details.

Dave Patterson - Owner, The Africa Safari

Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 nights for a safari - what to do?

Hi,

For something a bit different, you could consider combining a lodge in Sabi Sands such as Elephant Plains or Arathusa, or even Gomo Gomo in the Timbavati, with a couple of nights at Gwalagwala in the Kapama Game Reserve, as they offer elephant back safaris in place of one of the morning game drives - current costs for this are an additional R1350 per person - but hey, its different !

Kapama is a 13,000 hectare fenced reserve situated near the Kruger National Park. Characterised by rolling savannah grasslands and riverine forests, the reserve supports no less than 42 mammal species and approximately 350 bird species. Amongst the mammal species is the Big 5 - lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo and rhino.

Gwala is pretty reasonably priced too, so this will help to keep your budget down.

One word of caution .. Elephant Plains are completely booked already for August and September ... they are so popular !

Regards,

Tracey - Director, Travel Butlers

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
74 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 nights for a safari - what to do?

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'm really liking that elephant back safari idea.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 nights for a safari - what to do?

We got Married last September in the Kapama reserve at Camp Jabulani. Chech out our review of the lodge with photos from our wedding. The lodge is unbelievable and the Elephants are amazing. In the morning you go on Safari on the Elephants, stop for a snack at a watering hole and continue on a game drive. At 1 o'clock each day the Elephants go to there favorite watering hole where they all go for a swim to cool off and play, great to see. Then at night you can go on a night safari in the dark on the Elephants with your own spot light ...it was great. One of the most amazing experiences of our lives....the staff and lodge is great...wouldn't change a thing.

British Columbia
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 nights for a safari - what to do?

I have a group of friends wanting a safari in Africa, they were looking at going in Septmeber, but are now wondering about travelling in April. Would April be a good time to go?

Thanks

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,810 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 nights for a safari - what to do?

both april and september are great times to go to africa DEPENDING on where you go.

september is peak animal viewing season in botswana and kenya. the great migrations are on the masai mara in kenya in september and head south into the serengeti shortly afterwards.

rates in south africa are pretty much the same in april and september. if they are different, april is a bit less expensive GENERALLY. botswana is about 40% more expensive in september vs april.

some parks in zambia are peak season in september and SHUT DOWN in april. zimbabwe game viewing is better in september than april.

it really depends on the destination and the budget. i provided a very general answer.

craig beal - owner - travel beyond

10. Re: 6 nights for a safari - what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:26 am, November 02, 2009