We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May 2009 trip for husband and son

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
839 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
May 2009 trip for husband and son

My husband and 21 year old son are visiting South Africa from May 22-28 and want to stay at 2 different lodges. Right now, my husband has found lodging at Gomo Gomo for the first 3 nights, which he seems to like. He would then like to stay in the Sabi Sands region the other 3 nights. Nkorho has availability and I am also checking with Arathusa. Elephant Plains is booked during this time.

Which one would be preferable? Nkorho or Arathusa?

Any other suggestions?

They are trying to keep the nightly rate under 4000 rand for the two of them.

My husband was interested in Buffalo Camp, but from reading the forum, it seems as if it is fenced in and the game viewing might not be as good.

My husband and son do not like luxury places when they travel together (unlike me!). They prefer rustic and authentic.

Marlow, UK
Level Contributor
176 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: May 2009 trip for husband and son

I am also interested in a reply to this as we were thinking of staying at Gomo Gomo next year until I read this post about them moving and doing away with the safari tents. I am hoping this will bump this post to the top and someone might have some good suggestions of alternatives.

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,807 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: May 2009 trip for husband and son

Hi Benjibear,

Mom83 posted this question twice. All the replies are in a different post.

Enjoy!

Craig Beal - owner Travel Beyond

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
839 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: May 2009 trip for husband and son

Hmmm. Didn't know that I posted this twice. I will have to try to find the other post so that I can read the responses, too.

My husband ultimately decided to stay 3 nights each at Gomo Gomo and Arathusa. He is disappointed in the lack of safari tents, but still thinks the area is good for game viewing and the chalets are now brand new. Plus, Gomo Gomo has always received favorable comments, so here's hoping!!

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,807 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: May 2009 trip for husband and son

Just so everyone knows, Gomo Gomo is going to be a totally different place as of January 1. They are moving the entire operation 16 km away from the current operation.

Craig Beal - owner Travel Beyond

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
839 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: May 2009 trip for husband and son

Here are the responses to my questions from Gomo Gomo:

Hi

yes we still have a watering lookout in Front of the camp, all newly build chalets with air-conditioning and coffee stations look out on the water

Pictures will be available before end Nov 08

Kind regards

Henriette Scott

Gomo Gomo Game Lodge Reservations

Hi

We are ± 15 minutes from the old location, still in the Timbavati but now also have traversing in the Klaserie

Please advise

Kind regards

Henriette Scott

Hi

Yes, we have build a brand new lodge with chalets only

Please advise

Kind regards

Henriette Scott

East Coast
1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: May 2009 trip for husband and son

Hi Mom83-

I am a 33 year old female who traveled to the bush in SAfrica by herself, and I just returned home today. I flew into Jo'burg and flew from there to Hoedspruit where a transfer was arranged for me by the lodge for a small price. I spent my first three nights at Thornybush main lodge and then transferred for my next 3 nights at Simbambili in Sabi Sands (all under one ownership). I ABSOLUTELY loved Simbambili. The lodge rooms were exquisite and the staff was amazing. There are a lot of bugs and animals in the area so I was glad I didn't do the tent lodge or stay in a lesser expensive place (just for comfort sake, I wanted to relax not worry). I know the lodge views the same area with Arathusa and ELephant plains as we came across their vehicles and drivers on some of the rides. I heard they are all very nice lodges from the staff but the clients in the vehicles didn't seem to be having as much fun as we were in our vehicle with Harry as our ranger and Docter as our tracker. I think I will be going back in 6 months, but to stay at Simbambili the whole 7 days. The reservation person with Thornybush, Liza, was wonderful in arranging everything for me.

Hope that helps!

Dana

17. Re: May 2009 trip for husband and son

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, October 14, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Sabi Sand Game Reserve