We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ulusaba Safari Lodge

cumbria
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Ulusaba Safari Lodge

Hi, can anyone advise me on what the dress code is for evening dinner at Ulusaba. Also what is the best way to go about tipping at the lodge?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
252 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ulusaba Safari Lodge

You don't have to dress up here, just casual. We got changed from our safari clothes but not into anything dressy. Tips for staff can be sorted through the management but your guide and tracker should perhaps be tipped seperately.

Enjoy, it's great!!!

cumbria
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ulusaba Safari Lodge

Thanks for your reply, it was most helpful.

west sussex
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ulusaba Safari Lodge

Hi,both lodges are quite informal as are all virgin properties,i would say smart casual for dinner,def not suit and tie,when are you going and to which lodge? we have been 4 times now,and back again at the end of august,so if you want anymore info just ask,dont think we are sad by keep going back to the same place,ulusaba gets under your skin and you will just want to keep going back.

We normally tip the rangers about £10 per day,and the trackers about half that amount a day,just give them a envelope at the end of you last drive,then there is a box to put money in for the rest of the staff at the reception,but if you dont think you have had good service dont tip,but you will,and you will not want to leave,hope you like champagne,you will be able to drink it 24-7 if you want,also wine tasting at safari is good

Regards

Keith and Angie Fuller

West Sussex

cumbria
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ulusaba Safari Lodge

Hi Keith and Angie, thanks for your reply. We are hoping to get married out there Sept 09, just the two of us staying at Safari Lodge for 4 nights. The travel agent advised Sept the best month to go, do you agree with that? Also, I know they cannot guarantee seeing 'the big five', but is there plenty of animals to be seen? How long is the flight from Joho to Ulasaba and what is the luggage allowance? If you have any tips/suggestions they woud be most welcolme, the wine tasting sounds great!!

Regards

Colin & Kathryn

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
985 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ulusaba Safari Lodge

The flight from Jhb to Ulusbai is 1 hour and 20 minutes. I imagine the luggage allowance would be similar to any other airline which is 20kgs flying economy (doubt if they have business class).

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
985 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ulusaba Safari Lodge

Sorry - meant to say 'Ulusaba'!

west sussex
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Ulusaba Safari Lodge

Hi Colin and Katherine

Well i must say you have made a great choice,you will not be dissapointed i promise,September is a great time to go,the bush is not so thick as it's winter there ,but not winter as we know it !,so a whole lot easier to see the animals.

I know of people that have been on six or seven safaris who have not seen the Big Five, although nothing is for certain,you would be pretty unlucky not to see them all,in fact on one occasion we saw them all on the first day !

Ulasaba now have their own bigger air strip so you fly direct ,saves lodge hopping,so only about 40 minutes door to door.

The other alternative is to drive up and see a bit of the country,it's dead safe and you can stop somewhere overnight,i can give you some places to stay if you want to go down that route!

Have you thought about booking direct / again we have all the numbers if you require,may be cheaper and may result in a better room.as for bags 20 kg but in soft cases,4 Nights is a perfect duration.

Keith Fuller

cumbria
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ulusaba Safari Lodge

Hi Keith, thanks for your reply. We decided to book our trip through an agent because we will be travelling on to Maurtius for 1 week from Ulusaba, and I wanted everything booked under one company.

Thanks for your advice, you've been most helpful.

west sussex
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Ulusaba Safari Lodge

No Problem,hope you have a good time,let me know how it goes

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,364 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ulusaba Safari Lodge

Ulusaba shares the right for game drives with other reserves on the west side of Sabi Sand - and I think I can safely guarantee you will see the Big 5. I mean by that they are not limited to the land they own.

But relax a little on that goal. Visiting the lodges is a more complete experience than just looking for animals. I was just there 3 weeks ago and was quite impressed with the staff as well as the wildlife.

And Ulusaba is indeed a place with all the elements to make your trip memorable. Their big spa is on the grounds at Safari Lodge, for example.