We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inyati or Kirkman's Camp for June 2008?

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Inyati or Kirkman's Camp for June 2008?

Trying to plan a honeymoon trip for June 2008, and am considering 4 days at one of the lesser expensive game lodges, including Inyati and Kirkman's Camp. Anyone have thoughts on choosing between those two, or perhaps others of similar cost in the Sabi Sands?

Limpopo, South...
Level Contributor
295 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Inyati or Kirkman's Camp for June 2008?

Hi there

I received an e-mail from CC Africa, (who manages Kirkman's) offering a special of pay for 3 nights stay for four. Worth investigating. Kirkman's is a nice, colonial-style lodge. Although the rooms are not that big, very nice! Great food and game viewing.

Inyati is great, situated on the banks of the Sabi River, so I prefer this setting. Kirkman's more luxury though.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inyati or Kirkman's Camp for June 2008?

Thanks SafariAdvisor. Aside from Inyati or Kirkman's Camp, what are the other "mid-range" lodges folks are recommending? I've heard Elephant Plains and Simbabili are also good options. Our priority is wildlife viewing over luxury, although we certainly enjoy good food. (Who doesn't?) Also, given that we are going in June 2008--the low season--might we find that some of the usually more expensive lodges are more affordable? In other words, should we try to aim higher? If so, what is recommended?

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,571 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inyati or Kirkman's Camp for June 2008?

Kirkmans & Inyati are both great lodges. I prefer the setting of Inyati, as the lodge overlooks the Sand River and although Kirkmans is also on this river, the views have not been maximised. On the other hand, the food & service at Kirkmans is much better. I have also found the rangers of Kirkmans to be of a higher standard. Game viewing is excellent at both lodges.

Other more affordable options would be Ngala Main Lodge in the Timbavati (excellent lodge) or, as you mentioned, Elephant Plains standard accommodation. You also mentioned Simbambili, but this is a more expensive lodge. You are correct in stating that June is low season and you can get better rates than high season. Investigate options like Exeter River Lodge. Exeter considers June as "mid" season, but the rates are still lower than most months.

Hope this helps - feel free to ask more questions!

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inyati or Kirkman's Camp for June 2008?

Thanks AfricaDirect. I was hoping you'd chime in at some point. After surfing posts for a while, I'm also seeing folks recommend Chitwa Chitwa, Djuma Bush and Nottens on the "lower" end. I'm wondering, given the time of year we'd be there (June 2008), and the fact it will be the dry season, which of all these (including Kirkman's and Inyati, Ele Plains, Exeter River) is going to have the best wildlife viewing? Obviously, if we're coming all that way we want to try to have the best wildlife experience. I've been to East Africa before, but my fiancee has never been on safari before, and I want to be sure she gets to see elephants, leopards, cheetah and lions for sure.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,571 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inyati or Kirkman's Camp for June 2008?

Now I know that there are some contributors from abroad who don't agree with me, but of the lodges you have mentioned, I can honestly say that Exeter River & Inyati offer of the best big 5 game viewing our beautiful country has to offer! These 2 lodges share the same game viewing traversing area, which is why I rate game viewing at both as the best. When it comes to accommodation, food, service, rangers, etc., Exeter River is much better than Inyati. Kirkmans also has very good game viewing, so my recommendation would be Exeter River, Kirkmans or Inyati (in that order). Ofcourse Exeter River is more expensive than the other 2, but I can assure you that you won't be sorry about paying a bit extra!

Calgary
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Inyati or Kirkman's Camp for June 2008?

I keep hearing about the Big 5 that everyone will or will not see. What about giraffes?

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,571 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inyati or Kirkman's Camp for June 2008?

The Sabi Sands & Timbavati are part of the Greater Kruger National Park, meaning that there are no fences between them & Kruger, and as Kruger has plenty of girrafe, so do these 2 private reserves. Ofcourse no game viewing can ever be guaranteed, but those of us whom are fortunate enough to frequently visit the private safari lodges, get a good feel of where the best chances are to view specific animals. In my experience the viewing of girrafes has been best at Phinda Private Game Reserve, where I have seen groups (or rather, correctly named "journeys") of giraffe of more than 20 animals in total!

8. Re: Inyati or Kirkman's Camp for June 2008?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:21 am, September 19, 2009