We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kirkman's Kamp - Room and Ranger?

Hermanus
6 posts
Save Topic
Kirkman's Kamp - Room and Ranger?

Hello everyone,

We are visiting Kirkman's Kamp in December for 3 nights. Which 3 rooms should we request(best view of the sand river etc.) and what ranger should we request?

Please help!

KL

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kirkman's Kamp - Room and Ranger?

Was at Kirkmans last month and WOW what an experience. Ralph the ranger and Richard the tracker were excellent. Ralph really is very knowledgable and has a great sense of humour. Actually all the rangers at Kirkmans are very well trained and knows the bush etc..

Stayed in room 14 and had a wonderful view. Rooms 1 - 6 though are equally as good. Food was excellent, either on the lawn or in the boma with a surprise bush breakfast.

Camp manager is Niall and nothing was too much effort for the staff to make sure we enjoyed our stay.

Ask for Cynthia as your butler.

Hope this helps.

Hermanus
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kirkman's Kamp - Room and Ranger?

Thanks for your reply sunrise!

Please tell me, how are the cottages constructed? Is every cottage on its own or are they connected one-on-one. Do you possibly know which cottages are closest to the river? will that be numbers 1-6?

How was your game viewing? (numbers if possible) lol.

Ralph sounds awesome! I also got some very good reviews of Giles Kelmanson.

But anyway, thanks a lot!

KL

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,552 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kirkman's Kamp - Room and Ranger?

I always request room 14, as this room is more private than most others and offers good views over the river. The ranger who I always used to request has unfortunately left Kirkmans and moved to another lodge. I agree with the previous poster's remark about Niall - he is definately one of the best lodge managers in the Sabi Sands! Hope you'll have a great safari!

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,552 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kirkman's Kamp - Room and Ranger?

The rooms at Kirkmans are connected to each other. Not much privacy when you compare them to other lodges in the reserve.

Hermanus
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kirkman's Kamp - Room and Ranger?

Thanks AD!

How many guests are usually on a game drive vehicle. I see there are still 14 cottages available for the dates we requested. If we are only 8 in camp, will all 8 of us be squezed into one game drive vehicle? Or will we(being 4 in the group) possibly get a private game drive vehicle?

By reading all the comments, Niall sounds like a very good manager! Tanya, how is the quality of the game viewing at Kirkman's compared to the West?

Regards,

KL(jp)

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,552 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kirkman's Kamp - Room and Ranger?

Kirkmans try to as far as possible limit the number of guests on the game viewing vehicle to a maximum of 6, but this can not be guaranteed. They try to send as many game viewing vehicles as possible out on every drive, so if you are only 8 in the camp, I'm sure they'd at least make it 2 vehicles of 4 each. December is still a couple of weeks away though, so I'm sure they'll be fuller by the time you go, and more vehicles will be used.

I have been to Kirkmans many times, and the game viewing can be excellent (on a 2 night stay, I have witnessed wild dogs killing an impala and a lioness killing a duiker, however ofcourse this was exceptional and could never be the norm!) On average though I have found the game viewing at Kirkmans not to be as good as in the West.

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kirkman's Kamp - Room and Ranger?

THanks AD for the replies, was offline.

Room 14 I would say the best view.

Game viewing for us was wonderful. Lots of Zebra, Giraffe, buffalo, 4 white rhinos, wildebeest, elephants.

Saw lions hunting, 2 leopards fighting over a kill BUT this is the wild and animal sightings are not guaranteed. You do see a lot of animals and birds but as AD said more in the west.

If you want a private safari vehicle for your group, you could always ask ccafrica if that is possible, might be an extra charge though.

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kirkman's Kamp - Room and Ranger?

Forgot to mention that I saw my first WHITE duiker at Kirkmans.

9. Re: Kirkman's Kamp - Room and Ranger?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, September 09, 2009