We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

singita or mateya

new york
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
singita or mateya

hello. we are looking at going on a safari late decemer early jan. we have heard much about singita but are concerned about the weather at that time of year. does anyone know if mateya would be better and are the camps comparable?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: singita or mateya

Hello,

On weather alone, I'd go with Singita -- the area where Mateya is (Madikwe) is one of the hottest parts of the country, and given that you are travelling during the hottest time of the year it would be unbearable.

I've visited both Madikwe and the Sabi Sands (where Singita is located) and for game-viewing I'd definitely recommend the Sabi Sands. Excellent game-viewing is the rule in the Sabi Sands, and it's particularly good for the big cats (especially leopard, which are very difficult to see elsewhere). The game-viewing at Madikwe is very uneven - sometimes you see good game, and sometimes you can go four days without seeing much of anything - very disappointing, No matter how nice the lodge is, it can't make up for not seeing any animals.

Singita has recently been refurbished, and is one of the few places I've stayed which actually deserves all the good things written about it -- the suites are incredible and the service is top-notch. Their website doesn't have pictures of the lodges post-remodeling, but you can see some on my Safari Photo Album :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasher/sets

The camps are arranged alphabetically by country -- scroll down for the South African lodges. Boulders in particular has undergone a rather major overhaul and now looks nothing like the photos on the Singita website.

I had marvelous game-viewing at Singita, including two tiny little leopard cubs with their mum.

The food and spa are also superb -- if you enjoy wine, ask for a personalised wine tasting with Francois, the sommelier. Singita has one of the best cellars in South Africa.

Cheers,

Julian

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: singita or mateya

I agree with Julian - go for Singita......the game viewing is bound to be much better than at Mateya. Your chances of seeing leopard at Singita is more than double, as the leopard sightings in the Madikwe Game Reserve are still few and far between. Both lodes offer superior accommodation, but as mentioned before, Singita will come out tops in game viewing!!

3. Re: singita or mateya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, August 20, 2009