We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Best time to visit

My husband and I are planning a trip to for next year. Probably about a three week stay coming in from New York. Tentative, rough, itinerary might be: Johannesburg to Sabi, Sabi,drakensburg, Kruger Natl. Park, Rork's Drift, Durban, the Garden Route, and Cape Town. This would be a mix of drive and fly.... Wondering the best time to plan for the best all round weather. I had thought late August to Sept., but I have seen some postings which make late May - June sound better. Any advice and/or input on the do-ability of so many sites would be much appreciated.

12 replies to this topic
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,283 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best time to visit

Just a reminder.. Sabi Sabi is a specific area within the Sabi Sand Reserve. Sabi Sand gets a lot of exposure here because it is a wildlife-rich area with some of the best known lodges and camps.. and Sabi Sabi has several of those lodges within its defined boundaries.

But - there are no fences within Sabi Sand.. and the wildlife roams freely throughout Sabi Sand. Further, there are no fences between Sabi Sand and its boundaries with the Kruger National Park.. Lots of roaming going on.

Here's an interesting site with 2 valuable maps at the very bottom.

africam.com/wildlife/arkive_mammals_birds_re…

One shows Sabi Sand with the individual reserves clearly marked. It's not perfect. Umkumbe is omitted and the Sabi Sabi Selati really isn't quite that big, but it is mostly quite accurate. The lower map shows its relationship to Kruger Park and all of the rest of the reserves in that area of South Africa. And these days, since all of the private reserves and Kruger have been combined (for marketing purposes?) as the Greater Kruger National Park, that lower map pretty much IS The Greater Kruger National Park.

If you ask about 'Kruger', it helps us advise you if you also specify if you mean THE Kruger Park, or mean the general overall Kruger area.

And a word about that site - It's Africam.. with three live cameras operating in Sabi Sand and one in Kwazulu Natal. Once the annoying ads finish, you can see what's happening at the waterholes at the lodges, 24/7.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Edited: 10:49 am, August 18, 2013
Orange county
Level Contributor
6 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best time to visit

Hello. I just got back from Sabi Sand last Tuesday. I encountered one day of really, really heavy rain with large hail. Unfortunately it was not possible to go out on a game drive that day however, the rest of the days (remaining 7) were fine. The weather was not too hot but did get cold at night. There is no heating facility in the lodges where I stayed. Sabi is wonderful, with sightings of leopard, lion and cheetah. I highly recommend it. I am glad I went during this time of the year. I was told rain is unusual during winter but then again, we are finding unusual weather all over the world.

Reply to: Best time to visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted