We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Safari (Sabi Sand & Ngala) vs Victoria Falls & Chobe?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
First Safari (Sabi Sand & Ngala) vs Victoria Falls & Chobe?

My husband and I are traveling to Africa for the fist time in October/November of this year (2011). We are staying in Cape Town for 4 nights, Franschhoek for 2 nights, and then looking to go on safari for 4 nights. We are considering either staying in SA and going to Sabi Sand/Ngala (2 nights each) or flying up to Botswana and doing 1 night in Victoria Falls and 3 nights in Chobe. We have never been on safari, and unfortuantely do not have any more time to spend than 4 nights total for our safari potion.

If money is not an issue, what would you recommend for best overall experience? We are looking for the best combination of game viewing (Big 5+) and luxury accomodations... visiting in October/November.

Thanks!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
332 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Safari (Sabi Sand & Ngala) vs Victoria Falls & Chobe?

To see the big 5 in the Kruger I would recommend that you stay in the private lodges. There are so many to choose from eg Kapama, Leopard Hills etc.

The Victoria Falls is very nice to see. You stay in Livingstone Hotel and there is so many activities to book from. We can send you some details of Victoria Falls it you are interested.

New York
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First Safari (Sabi Sand & Ngala) vs Victoria Falls & Chobe?

One thing to note is that October/November is during the Zambezi and Falls low water season.

I've been to both Vic Falls and Chobe and to the Sabi Sands/Timbavati/Kapama Reserves in the Kruger Area. I think with only 4 nights I would go to the Kruger Area. It is easier to get to and I think the odds of you actually seeing the Big 5 (which you seem to indicate is a priority) is greater in the Kruger Area and the private reserves around it, particularly the likelihood of seeing leopards.

Save Vic Falls and Chobe for your next trip when you can combine it with the Okavango Delta for a longer safari experience.

To answer your question about best overall combination of game viewing and luxury I'm sure you'll get several suggestions including Singita Boulders or Ebony, Londolozi Granite, Lion Sands Ivory and Mala Mala Rattrays. The likelihood is that you can't go wrong with any of them.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,694 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Safari (Sabi Sand & Ngala) vs Victoria Falls & Chobe?

I was at Vic Falls in October - it was extremely hot and dry and not the best time to visit the Falls.

Mytmoss
Level Contributor
432 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Safari (Sabi Sand & Ngala) vs Victoria Falls & Chobe?

If there were two destinations that I have visited that I would not go back to, Chobe and Victoria Falls tops my list. If you love elephants, go to Chobe. When you are done with your visit, you might not want to ever see another elephant, there are so many there.

I was at Victoria Falls in Sept, it was hot and the water flow was not at its highest. It was nice but I have no desire to go back.

As for Ngala and Sabi Sands, I love Sabi Sands and will be going back for my 7th time. Ngala was OK, but I much prefer the Sands.

Mike

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,694 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Safari (Sabi Sand & Ngala) vs Victoria Falls & Chobe?

Yes, accommodation at Sabi and in luxury camps, either there or in concession areas of Kruger, is truly something special. I would spend two nights in Sabi and two nights in a different area (like Hamiltons Tented Camp).

There are some lovely pictures and descriptions on www.bushbreaks.co.za., also special rates for S.A. Citizens and also for non-residents (on request).

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Safari (Sabi Sand & Ngala) vs Victoria Falls & Chobe?

As mentioned above, Chobe and Vic Falls both are hot in your months. Landscape is dry and you could almost say ugly. The Falls will have a much lighter flow.

Your Ngala - Sabi Sand pairing gives you the free 4th night, too. I would choose that, no question.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Safari (Sabi Sand & Ngala) vs Victoria Falls & Chobe?

Thanks so much for feedback!

This was super helpful.

We have decided on ngala tented and Exeter river lodge for our trip. Can't wait!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Safari (Sabi Sand & Ngala) vs Victoria Falls & Chobe?

I love that combination and use it myself for my clients. And if you visit Ngala Safari Lodge first, your free night will be at the more expensive Exeter River!

Edited: 10:50 am, February 26, 2011
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Safari (Sabi Sand & Ngala) vs Victoria Falls & Chobe?

Whoops! Just noticed you at the Tented Camp.. even better!

washington dc
Level Contributor
249 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Safari (Sabi Sand & Ngala) vs Victoria Falls & Chobe?

We are going to Dulini Exeter and Ngala Tented in mid-April and I plan to make a post when we return. I am not sure if I will have anything different to add other than what is listed in the feedback for these camps. Everyone just absolutely LOVES them.