We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Cheetah Plains still part of Djuma reserve?

London, United...
10 posts
Save Topic
Is Cheetah Plains still part of Djuma reserve?

Wanting to see leopard and cheetah, I thought Djuma bush camp for a couple of nights a good bet....and as D. bush lodge, now called cheetah plains, this may be so? Is it still part of the Djuma reserve, and as visiting in May next year would we stand a good chance here, or any other suggestions of lodges in similar price range? Nottens? Arathusa sounds good too, but not happy about high numbers in vehicles... is this always a potential drawback in the private lodges? Will be spending a few days in Kruger park too. Appreciate any advice, thanks.

Mytmoss
Level Contributor
432 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Cheetah Plains still part of Djuma reserve?

I believe that Vuyatela and Galago are the only two lodges still part of Djuma. However I do believe that Cheetah Plains share the same traversing rights.

Mike

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,279 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Cheetah Plains still part of Djuma reserve?

When I think of cheetahs I think of Kirkman's.. But, the answer to your question can easily be answered by Djuma or Cheetah Plains.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Cheetah Plains still part of Djuma reserve?

Cheetah Plains is the same camp as the old Djuma bush lodge. It is no longer part of Djuma, but as far as I know they still use the same traversing area. It is in the northern Sabi Sand, and the game viewing will be exactly the same as at any of the other lodges you mentioned. The number of people per vehicle is also exactly the same - 9 on the back, possibly a 10th person in front next to the driver, if the lodge is very full. It is unfortunate that Arathusa seems to carry this label due to a few reviews on TA, when in reality all the lodges in the low to mid budget range have the same number of people per vehicle (unless the lodge is not full). Only some of the more expensive top end lodges will limit it to 6 or 4 people per vehicle.

Most of the lodges in the Sabi Sand will give you a good chance to see leopards, that is what the Sabi Sand is famous for. However, most lodges will struggle equally with finding cheetahs. They are rare, and only pass through on occasion, which means you may be lucky and see them, or you may spend two weeks at Cheetah Plains and see no cheetahs.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

London, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Cheetah Plains still part of Djuma reserve?

Many thanks for your replies, will now have to make some decisions....

5. Re: Is Cheetah Plains still part of Djuma reserve?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 03, 2011