We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ulusaba or Lion Sands

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
17 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Ulusaba or Lion Sands

Hi!

Here are our choices for 2 nights this month for my husband and myself (we will have already spent 6 nights at Sabi River Sun with 2 friends):

-Ulusaba:

-Safari room (safari lodge)- 4600

-Elephant room (safari lodge) - 6600

-river room (safari lodge)- 7500

-rock cliff room (rock lodge)- 6600

-Lion sands:

-river lodge- 4675

-ivory lodge- 7350

Lion Sands will give us 2 free nights at their place in Cape Town which could really help...about a 3000 value

Of course financially, staying at Lion Sands River Lodge is the best scenario (with those 2 free CPT nights), but are there any thoughts as to definitely upgrading to the ivory lodge?

Any thoughts on Ulusaba and the different room choices and costs? Is the river room worth 2900 extra per night over the safari room?

As for Ulusaba, I have to say I am leaning toward the Safari Lodge because I like the treehouse feel.

Thanks for all of the help!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Mytmoss
Level Contributor
432 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ulusaba or Lion Sands

Here are the advantages of upgrading to Ivory Lodge, one of my most favorite places to go (I will be there next month).

There are only 6 units, so likely maximum of about 12 people. Now this is an advantage if you are looking for more privacy. The folks at River Lodge are great and from what I have seen there the guests love interacting with each other.

The vehicles at Ivory Lodge carry a maximum of 6. So they are less crowded, however the game viewing is exactly the same for both lodges and the rangers are all excellent.

The rooms....well the rooms are hugely different. The rooms at River Lodge are small and comfortable. Most people do not plan to spend a lot of time in their rooms. The rooms are Ivory are huge and are great. You also have a very small dipping pool at Ivory. The rooms at Ivory overlook Sabi River. as do the rooms at Ivory, however you have better views from Ivory.

The food is outstanding at both lodges, however the food at Ivory might be a bit more gourmet.

At Ivory, drinks and laundry are also included in your prices.

I hope this helps,

Mike

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
17 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ulusaba or Lion Sands

Thanks Mike! So you think Lion Sands Ivory Lodge is a better bet than say, the River Room at Ulusaba's Safari Lodge?

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,121 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ulusaba or Lion Sands

The accommodations at Ivory Lodge are amazing. You actually have 2 separate structures separated by a covered breezeway. The 'bedroom' includes a sitting area, a massive bath - and looks out the back to an outdoor shower in a courtyard. Look out the front and you are seeing the river. Walk across the breezeway to the lounge - more great views of the river. I really DO need to post the video I shot there! I say if the budget will bear it, stay there. The free nights at the Cape Cadogan will help offset the cost. Incidentally, I have posted a 3 minute video of Lion Sands River lodge, so you can see what it's like. It's in the'Video' section under my 'Contributions'. Or here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkRAfnDBh5k

The food concept and service and setting were all the best I have experienced in a lodge in its price range. Dining at Ivory Lodge has a similar feel - but obviously on a smaller scale, with only 6 chalets. And the actual 'lodge' is quite a bit smaller. The two are close together - connected by a boardwalk, but not in sight of each other.

Dave Patterson - Owner, The Africa Safari

Mytmoss
Level Contributor
432 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ulusaba or Lion Sands

megmcnutz, I cannot really comment on how Ivory compares to Ulusuba as I have not been there. I have talked to people that have been to both and prefer Ivory, but that is not first hand information.

The one thing that Ulusuba has is greater traversing rights to a larger area, however the down side is that you also have many more vehicles there from different lodges.

As for the rooms themselves, I doubt if much competes with the Ivory Lodge rooms. The previous poster gave more information about them

Mike

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ulusaba or Lion Sands

If your budget can accommodate Lion Sands Ivory Lodge, then I would definitely recommend it! This has to be one of the most beautiful safari lodges in Africa!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

6. Re: Ulusaba or Lion Sands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 pm, October 23, 2009