We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Selati Camp-Bush Lodge-Little Bush Camp-Earth Lodge

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Selati Camp-Bush Lodge-Little Bush Camp-Earth Lodge

I am planning a safari trip for November 2008. I like what I see regarding the Sabi Sabi Private Game Reserve but can't decide which lodge to stay. Selati Camp sounds great and private but Bush Camp sounds good too. Then their is the Little Bush Camp and the Earth Lodge. Any opinions or advice for me? I will be staying 3-4 nights. My husband wants to only stay one night; however, I am trying to convince him that we need several nights. Would you recommend staying at the same camp or stay at 2 of their camps? and which one(s)? Thanks!

Kimmmmm

jnn
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Selati Camp-Bush Lodge-Little Bush Camp-Earth Lodge

During September 2007, I stayed at Dulini that forms part of the Exeter Group of CC Africa and ABSOLUTELY LOVED it. Consider it too. My recommendation is to stay at least two nights at the same lodge.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Selati Camp-Bush Lodge-Little Bush Camp-Earth Lodge

Thanks for the advice. I checked out Dulini and it looks very nice! The web-site I looked at said that every room has it's own plunge pool. Is that correct? How was the food? Thanks!

Kimmm

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Selati Camp-Bush Lodge-Little Bush Camp-Earth Lodge

Hello Kimmm,

I definitely agree that one night way too short -- you'll barely have time to pack and unpack as you'll hardly have any time in your room, and your chances of seeing all the animals you'd like to see will drop as you'll only have two game drives. I've done two-night stays before and it's definitely no where as nice as a three-night stay -- just too rushed.

If you go with Sabi Sabi I'd recommend staying at one camp rather than packing up and moving -- the reserve is not that big and you'll be driving in the same areas. The disruption and inconvenience of moving is not worth it IMO unless you are a big design fan and just want to see a different lodge -- you'll also have to get to know a new ranger and tracker as well as moving camp. The more time your ranger spends with you the better he or she gets to know you and your preferences, enabling him or her to tailor your drives to your interests and making for a more personalised safari.

Sabi Sabi is quite luxurious but the reserve is a bit small for the number of lodges they've built on it, though it's not as crowded as the western sector (see below). If you're looking at Earth Lodge or Selati you could probably afford Mala Mala or Londolozi which would give you a much more exclusive safari experience.

Dulini is very nice, but personally I feel that Exeter (where Dulini is located) and the other reserves in the western sector suffer from a high vehicle density which impacts the safari experience -- you'll see more vehicles and there are queues at sightings. However, as a result these reserves are generally less expensive. Of the reserves in the western sector Exeter is the best at minimizing the impact of the crowding but it's hard to avoid entirely due to the sheer number of vehicles and lodges in a very small area.

Cheers,

Julian

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Selati Camp-Bush Lodge-Little Bush Camp-Earth Lodge

The food at the Exeter camps is very good -- excellent food is one of CCA's strong points.

Cheers,

Julian

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Selati Camp-Bush Lodge-Little Bush Camp-Earth Lodge

Thanks Julian, I appreciate you taking the time to help me. Your thoughts helped clear things up, so now I have a better understanding of the options. :)

Kimmmmmmm

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,552 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Selati Camp-Bush Lodge-Little Bush Camp-Earth Lodge

Hi there! Sabi Sabi runs one of the most professional safari operations in the whole of Africa! They offer of the best guest service in the industry, and I am confident that you will have a very special safari experience if you go to one of their lodges. Ofcourse Earth Lodge is the most luxurious of the SS lodges, and if your budget can afford it, I would highly recommend this lodge! Second favorite to me, is Bush Lodge (of the best food in Africa!!).

You'll need at least 3 nights on safari, and I can guarantee that your husband won't be sorry about alocating some extra time to the safari portion of your itenary!

Exeter Dulini is a wonderful lodge, and the big 5 game viewing is excellent. I agree with one of the previous posters who recommended that you also consider this lodge - definately great value for money, splendid accommodation, great staff, and as I said, excellent game viewing!

ssz
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Selati Camp-Bush Lodge-Little Bush Camp-Earth Lodge

My husband and I did 2 nights at Selati Lodge and 2 nights at Earth Lodge and both places are amazing. I would recommend either of the lodges, however they are so different. Selati is very intimate, romantic and you definitely get a chance to interact with everyone there as they accomodate much less people than Earth Lodge. Earth Lodge is very modern and much bigger. The spa there is also amazing. I would say aim for three nights. We found that as much as the experience was wonderful and like nothing else, 3 nights would have been enough. 4 was just a bonus.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Selati Camp-Bush Lodge-Little Bush Camp-Earth Lodge

Thanks SSZ for the information. I have a reservation at Exeter Leadwood and my husband decided he would agree on three nights. So I have made some progress! Thanks!

Kimmmmmm3

Cowbridge, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Selati Camp-Bush Lodge-Little Bush Camp-Earth Lodge

Hi There

I am going to Little Bush Camp next week. If you havent booked yet - will let you know what I find .... iansw11@aol.com Cheers Ian

10. Re: Selati Camp-Bush Lodge-Little Bush Camp-Earth Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, September 21, 2009