We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report for the 2008 UFO festival

Nashua, New...
Level Contributor
425 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report for the 2008 UFO festival

I'm so glad that we finally made it to the annual UFO festival in Roswell this year. It took two flights and a 3-1/2 hour drive to get us there, but it was well worth the effort. If you have an open mind, an interest in UFOlogy, and enjoy strange and fun things, then this festival is for you! I attended with my 15 year old daughter, and we both had a fantastic time and learned a lot in the process. We met many really nice people in Roswell, and I will never forget this most unusual mother-daughter trip.

We spent the majority of our time between three places: the UFO Museum, the convention center, and Pearson Auditorium at the New Mexico Military Institute. We pre-purchased the 5-day pass to the UFO museum, which was a great deal at $20 each. It allowed easy entrance to the museum and included everything except a few of the workshops. We visited there for at least part of every day, and it was our favorite spot in Roswell. We had pre-registered for all of the talks at the CE4 conference, but in hindsight should have paid as we went along. There were some excellent talks competing for our time at the UFO museum, so we didn't get to see as many of the CE4 talks as we would have liked.

The convention center was a great spot to pick up souvenirs, books, and other UFO-related items. The place is loaded with vendors, and we found lots of things to take home with us. There are also many excellent shops in and around the UFO museum.

Next door to the convention center is the Roswell Museum and Art Center (free entry, donations requested), which contains some interesting modern art. There was also an Alien Village, which we skipped due to the fact that our cold New England bodies could not handle the intense heat and humidity of Roswell (it was in the mid 90's or higher every day). On the plus side, I think I sweated off 5 pounds.

You don't need to worry about getting lost in Roswell. Since the Pearson Auditorium, convention center, and the UFO museum are all on the same street as the major hotels, it's nearly impossible to lose your way. Driving is really easy, too. If you pass your destination, there are plenty of places to reverse direction. We also had no problems finding parking spots, and parking was free.

Besides the fireworks on the 4th, we also attended the parade on July 5th. It only lasted 10-15 minutes, but it was very entertaining. There were some rather unusual entries, including a hillbilly wearing alien glasses and riding a tractor, an alien recovery team, and a bright green dog.

If you are used to big city and tourist trap prices, then you will be pleasantly surprised by Roswell. We paid $113 a night at the Hampton Inn for a spacious room with two double beds. Most T-shirts were $15-20, and there were a lot of great items that could be purchased for $5-10. There are plenty of good places to eat at reasonable prices, as well as loads of fast food chains. We especially enjoyed Tia Juana's, the Mexican restaurant next to our hotel; the Pasta Cafe; Farley's Food, Fun & Pub; and the Not of This World Cafe.

I've been to a lot of great places, but attending the UFO festival in Roswell is certainly one of the most unusual and memorable vacations I've ever taken. I think I've convinced a couple of my friends to attend next year, and I hope to return some day.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report for the 2008 UFO festival

I don't find that prices so low and I'm not a fan of the UFO museum but I liked reading your tripreport and appreciate your opinions and it's a big help for people that want to visit Roswell and surroundings. Have you been to Lincoln and Capitan as well?

Tet

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,342 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report for the 2008 UFO festival

Thanks for posting this. I had always wandered about the festival there. I'm also not so much into the UFO thing and probably wouldn't ever get out there.

Look into the Marfa Lights Festival next year if you are into UFO stuff. The whole Marfa Lights thing is pretty wild, but the town is especially interesting and the festival is supposed to fun.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report for the 2008 UFO festival

What a lot of fun!! Hillbilly in alien garb--perfect! I, too, have always been fascinated by this festival, but since I do mostly outdoor oriented trips, will probably never get the chance to go. Thanks for letting me visit vicariously!

Nashua, New...
Level Contributor
425 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report for the 2008 UFO festival

I figured that since this is the Roswell site, at least one person should report on the world famous festival!

The only other spots in New Mexico that we visited were Albuquerque (Old Town and the Sandia Peak Tramway), and the Billy the Kid Museum in Fort Sumner. I'd love to get back again to explore more of NM, although I don't imagine I'll go in the heat of the summer.

If I ever make it to Texas, the Marfa Lights festival looks like it could be fun!

5. Re: Trip report for the 2008 UFO festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:21 am, January 31, 2009
Palm Springs
Level Contributor
12 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report for the 2008 UFO festival

Thx for the info. I am driving from Palm Springs to Dallas and decided not to take my regular southerly route through Las Cruces and El Paso due to the stories of the drug crime issues at the border. I stop about a little better than halfway for a night (Van Horn or Pecos). Half way across the alternative northerly path is Roswell. I just happen to be passing through there July 1st..the annual alien-fest thing is July 2-5th. I like SFiction and the kitchy stuff, so I decided to stay the next day before continuing my journey. I have a 9 pound dog with me but the Motel 6 was happy to accomodate us at this late date for a cheap amount. The dog will limit my activities, but I am told the first night there will be opening ceremonies, the crowning of Ms Alien. I am uninhibited so this should work. The mickeydees (shaped like a spaceship)will be a good drive through and a good pix, I will report back after my return.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report for the 2008 UFO festival

You are going to make a detour by driving via Van Horn. Better drive from Las Cruces to Alamogordo (White Sands NM on your way) and to Roswell. Waiting for your triprepoart. Have a great trip.

Tet

8. Re: Trip report for the 2008 UFO festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 22, 2009